Ford Focus Electrical Problem

Hi All,

Quite a lot of posts on here about electrical problems with the ford focus but the issue I have seems to be completely different to most other people.

The other day, I started my 55 Reg 1.6 Focus and the following occurred:
    * Handbrake light remains illuminated when handbrake released
    * Remote central locking causes all doors to unlock
    * Boot doesn't open
    * Courtesy light remains on after all doors have been closed
    * Indicator lights work on the outside, but the dashboard lights and "click" do not
    * Beam works fine, but the panel light does not illuminate
    * Air conditioning not working, but the fans still blow air

Has anyone else experienced this, and does anyone know what might be causing it? I've taken it to a couple of local garages who have no idea and it's booked in at the local dealer, but even they don't seem completely sure.

Thanks muchly,

Andrew
  • 11 Replies

I'd hazard a guess that the computer that controls the connections for the other computers is faulty. Can't remember what Ford call it but something like central body module. (Similar to BSI in Citroen/peugeot cars - body system interface. In Vauxhalls its called a CIM).
    Same problem

Hi Andrew,

During this xmas, we had the same fault occur when driving from London to Bradford.

Did you get to the bottom of the problem?

Been to garage, they could not find the fault after running diagnosis computer. They reset the computer and the all faults have gone for now. Been a couple of days everythings ok for now, got a nagging feeling the same problem will return.

Hope you will read this and reply,

Thanks Rick
    Faults like this can be caused by weak batteries if the voltage drops too low during starting.
    ford focus 05 Battry voltage levels before during and after startup

thanks Mr Danno,

My uncle had the same suspicion, gonna get a volt/amp meter on it soon as.

You dont happen to know what the battry voltage levels should be ?

Cheers rick
    The best way to test a battery is by getting it drop tested, Most car shops that sell batteries will do it for free as they usually have the tool to do it.

To test the charging system, Measure the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine running and hot. It should be approx. 13.8 volts. This car has 'smart charging' which means it can charge at voltages between 13.8 and 18 volts. They have a known issue with the wiring harness between the alternator and charging control unit. If it has broken wiring a replacement harness is available from Ford for around £15.

If you do change the battery make sure it is a silver calcium type and not an ordinary lead acid type.
    Hi I now have this problem. Was there any solution ? Thanks
    Dear Andrew. I have a 2007 ford focus 1.6 petrol and I have the same unusual problem as yours. Please tell me what was the issue and how you have solved it. Thank you very much!
    Hello. I have the same problem. Have you solve it? Thank you very very much for any info about this unusual problem!
    Hello. I have a similar problem. Can you remember after all those years what the solution was?

Many thanks!

Razvan
    Hi All,

Quite a lot of posts on here about electrical problems with the ford focus but the issue I have seems to be completely different to most other people.

The other day, I started my 55 Reg 1.6 Focus and the following occurred:
    * Handbrake light remains illuminated when handbrake released
    * Remote central locking causes all doors to unlock
    * Boot doesn't open
    * Courtesy light remains on after all doors have been closed
    * Indicator lights work on the outside, but the dashboard lights and "click" do not
    * Beam works fine, but the panel light does not illuminate
    * Air conditioning not working, but the fans still blow air

Has anyone else experienced this, and does anyone know what might be causing it? I've taken it to a couple of local garages who have no idea and it's booked in at the local dealer, but even they don't seem completely sure.

Thanks muchly,

Andrew

Hello. Can you remember after all those years how did you solved the problem. Mine is 100 % similar and it is very unusual.

I would appreciate your answer!
    Many thanks

Razvan
    Huge problem with these cars is the condition of the smart charge fuse (pos 32 I think) located in the bottom left of the under bonnet fuse board. Clean board contacts and replace fuse, make sure of positive fit. Moisture ingress can be real problem if the under engine splash shield is missing. This fault causes loads of problems with power distribution to major systems and can sometimes show as an unknown fault code.

Blocked scuttle plate drain points can allow water to get into the fuse box under the passenger glove box too and cause some strange stuff.