Tyre Cracks / Splits

OK, so I have these phases where I get paranoid about my car tyres. Especially when my other half takes the car out (she doesn't drive very often) and it comes back with marks on the tyre that suggest it may have bumped the curb a little.

That happened this weekend. I also noticed a slight crack or split on the sidewall about 1 centimeter long although it doesn't seem deep (it may have been there before my other half drove it) - is this something I should get checked out? I don't want to go somewhere to ask them to check it and look a complete prat 'cause there's nothing to worry about. I don't know if I should only be concerned about a crack that is deep or if you can tell how deep the crack is by the width of it?

Whilst on the subjects of cracks, my front tyres are getting quite worn but not quite down to the low tread marks yet but there is cracking on the outer part of the tread - as the tread meets the sidewall. The cracks don't seem to deep at the moment, but I'm never sure when it's bad enough to get replaced. Any advice without going to a tyre fitter every time? I don't want to replace these tyres if there's a little more mileage left in them.

Thanks
  • 7 Replies

A split in the sidewall to the cords should be no more than 25mm long or 10% of the section width of the tyre. Thats the MOT rule.
    Cracking where the tread meets the sidewall indicates a very tired tyre. Under severe braking this part may fail.
    The only advice I can give is to replace it. Safety comes first. ;)
    A split in the sidewall to the cords should be no more than 25mm long or 10% of the section width of the tyre. Thats the MOT rule.
    Cracking where the tread meets the sidewall indicates a very tired tyre. Under severe braking this part may fail.
    The only advice I can give is to replace it. Safety comes first. ;)

I couldn't agree more - they're your only points of contact with the road and should be in the best possible condition. Cracking could lead to severe problems as hometune wrote.
    Tyres

Tyres are your most important part of your car. For safety sake, don't let them get to the legal limit of 1.6mm. They are better changed at 3mm for safety. I replaced a set of Michelins on my wifes car at 6mm because of aging and side wall cracking. I don't want any chance of a blow out and an accident for £300 worth of tyres. There is only a few mm actually on the road at any one time and they need to be in good condition to perform well in the wet and dry and under braking. If you are not sure about their condition have a reputable tyre fitter look at them. If he says you need new, buy as an axle set ie 2 and the new ones should be fitted to the rear of the car.Don't be frightened of haggling for the best prices either. Don't fit cheap rubbish.New valves and balance are a must also.
    Further to tyres cracking. I had mine changed last year. The date on the tyres are 1006. Cracking is appearing. Have I been sold new old stock? Tyres should last longer than a year. There is plenty of tread, just cracks in the tread.
    Usually tyres last long than a year. Did you check with your tyre company once?
    Further to tyres cracking. I had mine changed last year. The date on the tyres are 1006. Cracking is appearing. Have I been sold new old stock? Tyres should last longer than a year. There is plenty of tread, just cracks in the tread.
    1006 suggests they were made in week 10 of 2006. I can’t imagine being sold some 14 year old tyres!
    1006 suggests they were made in week 10 of 2006. I can’t imagine being sold some 14 year old tyres!
    I agree. I think you have been ripped off.