Decision...scrap my car and get a new one or repair it?

Hi there, I have a really helpful independent garage, who recently surprised me.

I took my 59 plate Ford Focus TDCi down for a quote for interim service and timing belt change. They took three weeks to get back to me (they are really busy) and said it would come to £1050. They suggested I should seriously consider if I want to do the repair work, and said it might be more sensible to get something newer now as it is getting to the age and mileage where repair bills will start racking up.

The car is a 2009 manual with 142,500 on the clock. I have had it since 25k, and have serviced it every 12 months. It has given me next to nothing in terms of issues, and I use it as a daily commuter on the motorway covering around 30k anally.

I am not sure that this advice is sound. The vehicle has a Lynx engine, which I am told is virtually indestructible as long as it has a yearly oil change. What do you guys think?

I am going to go to my local Ford Gates garage and get a quote from them for the timing belt, just to see if they are able to offer anything cheaper under Motorcraft. **Update my local ford have quoted £439 + vat for a replacement timing belt, water pump, labour and VAT.**

There are other jobs such as brakes and pads, it refuses to start in really cold weather, so I believe glow plugs and a bolt or something has recently snapped off of the rear suspension.
  • 5 Replies

You say it is a reliable car - why not keep it? If it were to start to have issues, by all means look again, but anything you buy will bring with it a risk of other issues anyway.

It is unusual that the main dealer is cheaper. Perhaps the independent garage doesn't really want the job?
    You say it is a reliable car - why not keep it? If it were to start to have issues, by all means look again, but anything you buy will bring with it a risk of other issues anyway.

It is unusual that the main dealer is cheaper. Perhaps the independent garage doesn't really want the job?

It has already started to have issues: apart from the timing belt, there are brakes, poor starting and broken suspension ...
    It has already started to have issues: apart from the timing belt, there are brakes, poor starting and broken suspension ...

Yes, you have hit the nail on the head. It has been reliable, but suddenly, issues are racking up.
    Timing belt should have been done just over a year ago, but after chasing and chasing my garage, they never got back to me, so I left it. But have got to the point now, where if I am going to spend money on repairs on the car, I need to do the timing belt first before anything else, as obviously, if that breaks, the other issues become irrelevant as the car will be a write off.

I am just looking to the experience of other forum users on here, particularly any who have a car like mine, if I may have any other unexpected issues.

The gear box, clutch, alternator, and turbo are all original. Could some of these go soon? But do remember, I don't pop to the shops in this, I am doing at least 110 mile round trip each day to work. I usually cover around 30k each year in miles, almost all of which is motorway or A roads, so it has had a pretty easy life.
    There are plenty garages who will do the timing belt and water pump for around £300. Brake pads and discs £150. Suspension bolt £20. The car is too old and high mileage to be taking it to a dealer, there is nothing to be gained there.
    However, having said all that, the clutch will go soon along with the dual mass flywheel so that might cost £750. The alternator is on borrowed time and a reconditioned one probably around £150. The turbo will not last forever and that might cost up to £500.
    Remember, if you sink £470 into it today, then £750 in a few weeks or months and another £650 later you will never get this back should you decide to sell it. On the other hand if you fork out £5000 towards a new(er) car, will it be problem free?
    My instinct is that the car is 9 years old and other components will be tired including wheel bearings, driveshafts, gearbox, instrument cluster, door locks etc etc so maybe time to sell it.
    But definitely find a better garage whatever you decide, your one is a waste of time.
    If your car is in batter condition and its engine, accuracy and body is good then you not need to change. if you have minor issues in the car you can resolve it permanently.
    But if your car is in worse condition and create issues for you regularly than you needed to think to sale.
    Sale option should be last option because scrap car removal companies give much less coast....