Road rage

Today I was turning right at a junction where the main road, which has hedges either side blocking vision, bends round to the left so you don’t see oncoming traffic until you have half pulled across. I pulled out and saw a pick up truck coming towards me, but in the split second decided I had “committed” so put my foot down and made the turn.

Regardless of the excuse, I pulled out in front of someone, so I made a mistake, and accept that.

However the truck driver, whom, according to his indicators, was intending to follow the main road, instead turned into the side road behind me and started tailgating me and beeping his horn. He also kept veering over to the right as if to overtake me, but just sat there flashing his lights.

On numerous occasions I put my left indicator on and slowed down, inviting him to overtake me, but he didn’t take up the offer and just pulled back in (only a few inches) behind, while beeping his horn.

He kept moving over to the right even with oncoming cars so I believe was driving quite dangerously. I think he was probably trying to make sure I had seen him in my right door mirror, but to be honest couldn’t miss him as he was filling my entire rear view mirror.

They followed me, doing the same behaviour, for the next 6-7 miles to the next village. He eventually passed while pressing his horn. I was preparing for him to pull in and brake hard, hoping I would crash into the back of him, as this happened to a family member, but fortunately he just drove off.

My passenger filmed all of the events. Would it be worth passing this to police, or would I be self-incriminating as I made the initial mistake of pulling out in front of him?

I don’t think my genuine mistake justifies several minutes of dangerous driving?

Just wondering what others think.
  • 9 Replies

Community Manager
    Sounds like a grim experience @Drivingforfun
    Did the truck have one of those 'how am I driving' signs on it, with a phone number?
    Welcome to the RAC Community! Start here 😀
    You can say hi and introduce yourself too 👋
    What should you do after a collision? 🤔
    Got a question or want to start a discussion? Create a new post here. ✍
    Looking for info? Start with a new search. 🔍
    Marc, no, it was a pickup truck without any branding on it, not a lorry, sorry probably should have made that clearer.

I found his attitude funny more than anything but would not have been so funny if he had a head-on while trying to prove whatever point he was trying to make in his little world!
    Community Manager

I found his attitude funny more than anything but would not have been so funny if he had a head-on while trying to prove whatever point he was trying to make in his little world!

I reckon that's the best way of dealing with it. If you can laugh at it. So long as it's not keeping you up at night with worry?
    Marc I tend to have that attitude a lot on the road, actually in life, someone would probably think I am into "weed" but have never touched the stuff...

Never used my horn in 5+ years of driving. Someone pulled out of a side road while I was doing 60mph along the main road the other day, most people would have been angry but I thought, why mess about with my horn when I have a brake pedal that I should be pressing instead?

I think people just need to calm down and not take things too seriously sometimes!!!
    Community Manager
    Never used my horn in 5+ years of driving.

Impressive @Drivingforfun ! I've def used the horn a few times in 5 years. I think mostly when a traffic light goes from red to green and the driver in front doesn't move. So I assume he/she has not noticed the lights have changed. Not really done in anger

I tend to have that attitude a lot on the road, actually in life, someone would probably think I am into "weed" but have never touched the stuff...
    A good attitude to have! I'm quite similar. People tell me I'm so calm I should be horizontal 🤣
    I lied slightly - I have used it when I saw my Mum walking along the pavement - to offer her a lift!!!

Never used it at another vehicle, though. 😂
    I use my horn as intended. To let others know I am there. Have avoided a few accidents over the years, and have had quite a few apologies. Commonest locally, not meant to be sexist, but after school turn-out when mums are trying to sort out kids in the back whilst driving. Wandering across the lane into oncoming traffic.
    Interesting to know, Rolebama.

I think I made a thread on the topic on this forum, but I always assumed others assume the horn to be an aggressive gesture. So, even if it were used correctly (to warn others) they would think you are "telling them off" and respond with a middle finger or similar.

I have had instances where I have wanted to use the horn correctly - i.e. vans reversing out of drives - but haven't, for that reason.
    Community Manager
    I lied slightly - I have used it when I saw my Mum walking along the pavement - to offer her a lift!!!

That is allowed. Indeed I would award you bonus points 😄