Cost of running an EV

Just readJackToncatridr's post regarding 180 mile trip, and roughly worked out the following: At the moment the cost of 75kwh to me would be £33approx. Good for around 200-ish miles. Petrol cost for me to do 200 miles £34 approx. So my average mileage of 5000, an EV would save me £25 approx per year. Price of current car £38000 approx (although current speculation is that a BMW 3-Series EV won't be available until 2026, and cost $50000, approx £41000), a difference of £3000, which means it won't start paying for itself for 120 years. I currently get 40mpg average.
    That is assuming all things stay the same for the next few years.
  • 8 Replies

Interesting, thanks for working that out.

I'm going to work it out for my Mini now, vs. the Mini Electric.

Also remember that cars are far more expensive in the UK than the US. You can basically swap the $ sign for a £ sign, and, in most cases, add a bit more. A $50k car will be at least £50k here, probably more.
    I believe I’m on a cheaper tariff than you. Switching from a Mini Cooper S, which is the most similar ICE Mini in terms of performance, it would take 60,000 miles to “break even” if I switched to a Mini EV, which is £3,000 more expensive. That isn’t counting any other factors like cheaper servicing, possible lower depreciation.

I’m happy with my ICE car.

I suppose the EV may make sense for the 2nd owner and beyond, though they would then face battery replacement costs and such…
    A bit off-topic but something I can’t seem to convince certain family members is that with their low mileage it’s not worth spending more money to get a more efficient engine.

A relative will be doing around 4,500 miles per year and seems convinced that spending over £30,000 on a hybrid - that is pretty much the same spec as the £27,000 non-hybrid they were also looking at - is a good move.

They only keep their cars for 3 years.

The hybrid - a mild, not a plug-in - would need to do more than 100mpg to break even!

I think people can be blinded by MPG figures when the fact is if you’re doing 350 miles a month MPG doesn’t really matter when compared with other costs of motoring.
    As I have said before elsewhere. After fuel, the biggest cost of owning a car is depreciation. Any calculations are made highly speculative by the gradually reducing cost of fuel and the current high residual values of hybrid and pure electric cars.

Add in low maintenance, tax, interest rates, etc, and the calculations get pretty complex.
    Most of the regenerating hybrids I have been a passenger in returned an excess of 120mpg when driven in eco-mode. Quick enough to keep up with most traffic conditions, but in other modes or motorway speeds, the results weren't quite so good.
    I think the issue is how long can you drive in eco mode for before the electricity runs out and you have to run off pure petrol?

We borrowed a Yaris recently and it did 70mpg. Impressive for a small hatch - our Fiesta did 55-60 - but not near enough to pay for the additional expense of buying a hybrid unless we did big mileage.
    Drivingforfun, I have to admit that driving locally the amount of gradients, roundabouts and traffic lights pretty much have regeneration covered. Thinking about where my daughters live in Beds and Cambs, there are nowhere near as many, so I think eco mode would be a real downer.
    That makes sense, Rolebama. I live on the Beds/Herts/Cambs border so do most of my driving in those counties. I think you are right r.e. the types of driving - the hybrid did shine when we took it into a large town - a normal ICE car would do 30-40mpg yet the Yaris would do up to 150 for very short bursts.

Just have to remember the "free" mileage has to be "paid for" at some point when the car burns fuel to recharge the batteries.

I think the concept is good though - burn a bit more petrol on the motorway where there are no pedestrians to breathe the fumes in, then run cleanly in the city.