What are the limitations of used electric cars?

I've spent the past few weeks investigating the possibility of purchasing a used electric car due to my weakening left leg and foot. Since I no longer take lengthy trips, I believed that an electric vehicle would be an elegant solution to my problem.
    My initial shock was discovering how well they retain their value, despite the unknown history of the battery, which can deteriorate faster due to rapid charging.
    Additionally, I stumbled upon the Nissan Leaf Forum and was astonished to learn that, for my approximately 120-mile round trip to Addenbrookes hospital in Cambridge, I would need to recharge the batteries before returning home.
    Furthermore, I discovered that used car batteries can be repurposed for household energy storage systems, which was an interesting piece of trivia.
  • 2 Replies

Community Manager
    Hey @JohnMoncatkina

Additionally, I stumbled upon the Nissan Leaf Forum and was astonished to learn that, for my approximately 120-mile round trip to Addenbrookes hospital in Cambridge, I would need to recharge the batteries before returning home

Hmm, must have been one of the earlier Leaf models. What was the battery capacity?
    When I drove a Leaf it had a 40kWh battery, the range was 160 miles, 150 in cold weather.

Sounds like you were looking at a post about one of the early, 24kWh models?
    Welcome to the RAC Community! Start here 😀
    You can say hi and introduce yourself too 👋
    What should you do after a collision? 🤔
    Got a question or want to start a discussion? Create a new post here. ✍
    Looking for info? Start with a new search. 🔍
    Hi It's true that electric cars can retain their value well, especially if they are well-maintained and have a good battery health. It's important to do your research and find a reputable seller who can provide you with a full history of the car, including the battery health.
    Regarding the range of electric cars, it's important to consider your daily driving needs and find a car with a range that can comfortably meet your requirements. For a 120-mile round trip, you may need to consider a car with a larger battery capacity or plan for a charging stop on your way to or from the hospital. It's important to note that charging infrastructure is rapidly expanding, and there are more charging options available than ever before.