If I cannot change lanes...?

My daughter has a driving test in a couple of weeks. I have taken her out driving for practice and an issue came up that I was unsure how she should deal with it in her test.

She is in the left-hand lane of a two lane road, and the instructor tells her to turn right at the roundabout ahead. The road is busy, and there are cars behind her in her land and a steady stream of cars (going above the speed limit!) in the right lane.

I said she should indicate and hope some lets her in, but apparently that is a give no-no - if someone slows how for her, that would be very bad.

What she did is stay in the left lane, and go straight across the roundabout, which was certainly the safe decision, but in a test would take her off the route.
  • 2 Replies

• Best Answer

Best Answer
    This scenario should not happen. If the instructor wants her to turn right, they should allow plenty of time for her to change lanes.
    Agreed, although it's an examiner, not an instructor!

Staying in the LH lane and going straight on would not be a fault on test (assuming it was all done safely). Getting back on route is the examiner's problem - it happens all the time.
    This scenario should not happen. If the instructor wants her to turn right, they should allow plenty of time for her to change lanes.

If you were driving in the same situation, I am sure that you would move over to the right-hand lane well in advance and without causing any inconvenience to other road users.