Insurance are reclaiming from me- help!!

My brother owns a recovery truck and is insured on a traders policy. He allowed another person to drive the vehicle and unload it. The vehicle being unloaded Hit another car which then hit another car. The insurance paid out over £11000 to 3rd parties for the loss or repair of their vehicles. This was in 2019 and I have today received a letter saying I need to be pay the £11000 back .

in their letter they state its because I didn't report the accident within 48 hours And I'm assuming because he wasn't driving [all though they don't state this is the reason in their letter].

I Assume that they are allowed to claim this back from me but can they realistically leave it 3 years before doing so.

Any advice greatly appreciated
  • 4 Replies

Hi, it doe's sound odd, I would write and ask why they are asking for a re-fund.
    When they reply you can then contact the Insurance Ombudsman Insurance (financial-ombudsman.org.uk) for help.
    Last edited by wagolynn; 26-02-22 at 22:11.
    • making a claim may increase your premiums in the future or when you renew your policy
    • some insurance companies offer a discount if you don’t make any claims under your policy
    • if the amount of your claim is only a little more than your deductible, consider if it's worth it to pay for the loss or event yourself
    Sometimes a claim will not be covered by your policy. This is called an uninsured loss. For example, a power cut may mean that your freezer contents have to be thrown away but your policy may not cover the cost of replacing them.

If your insurance policy includes an excess, this is also a type of uninsured loss. An excess is the fixed amount of any claim, for example the first £50, that you must pay yourself.

If you lose out financially and you're not insured but what's happened is not your fault, you may be able to take the person or company who caused your loss to court to recover your expenses.
    I worked for an insurance company and the running "joke" was if there were 5 reasons to pay and one to deny...deny the claim. Most were paid on resubmittal or appeal. Reason for denial could be as simple as the wrong diagnosis on the wrong line. If your wife was admitted through the emergency room that is almost always appealable. Some policies require prior approval or referral before a hospital admission. These requirements are almost always waived if the patient is admitted through the emergency room. It could be that the emergency room claim had not been submitted or processed prior to the NICU claim was submitted. Claims processors or AI do not necessarily look at the history when processing the claim if the referral is not in the system the claim will deny. On appeal they should look at the history and they should see the emergency room charge. I full agree with the last paragraph by Living_Internet4924.
    Good Luck!!!