Ford KA heating starts hot then blows cold

When I start up my KA the heating comes on and works just fine. If I then park up and restart the KA the LCD heating temperature e.g 24f flashes three times and the heating blows cold - and stays cold. Any idea?
  • 1 Reply

Could be that when you idle the water pump doesn't have enough flow to move hot air around the motor, but at RPM it can move. But normally a bad water pump is indicated by overheating at idle, not cooling. Could also be a failed thermostat, but generally a stuck open thermo will cause the engine to never reach operating temperatures.
    Do you have normal operating temperatures on your idiot gauge (dash gauge) or does it also go down as you idle?
    If you had a leaking hose you would have an overheating issue with the engine as you would be losing coolant.
    I think its a circulation issue - if is is hot but then cools down, as the fan blows across the heater core it is cooling down the coolant in the core, but if it starts hot or gets hot again makes me think there is limited coolant circulation.