Hi all,
My car was involved in a hit and run while parked in a parking bay on a street. I did see the vehicle that hit me and got their registration just in time. After making the claim the person who hit me is adamant that they weren't involved. The claim has been ongoing for months and the 3rd party remains unrelenting and is determined to make the life of an innocent stranger, i.e. me, a misery. I've had to pay a large sum from my excess to get my car repaired and obviously want that money back as I wasn't at fault.

I haven't been involved in an accident before so will admit this has all been a bit of a learning experience.

The last correspondence I had with my insurance they told me if I were to lose the case and they end up concluding that the 3rd party was not at fault then I would be liable and won't get my excess back. I find that preposterous, how can i possibly be at fault and liable if my vehicle was parked and stationary? I had a read through the insurance policy and couldn't find anything that specifies this type of scenario.

Is this something standard with all car insurance policies? What happens in cases where your car is parked, a hit and run happens, and you don't see the culprit? I've always assumed I would be covered and wouldn't have to pay any excess in such scenario. Or is my assumption incorrect as my insurance company suggests?

Would be grateful for any any advice and guidance.