Hi everyone,

This morning at around 7am on my way to work, I was stopped at a red light at an intersection. The lights in front of me (which I now understand where a different set of lights) turned green, at which point I proceeded to go. There is a red light camera at this intersection and I can't be sure that I saw a flash, but it must have been a good 10 seconds since the light initially turned red.

I got a gentle honk from a driver turning left onto the same road, and of course then realised my mistake. Thankfully it was early on a Sunday morning, but could have been a lot worse if there were more cars on the road.

Of course this was an honest mistake. The lights in front were green and could easily have been mistaken, as I understand a lot of drivers have been caught out by this particular intersection (and I imagine that's why there's a camera there).

I am a doctor and am worried that due to the time frame in between the lights turning red and me driving, I may be issued a court summon. The law is the law, but a court summon would of course have implications for me. I've been driving for 12 years and never had points or a notice before.

I could really use some advice as my frantic googling since the incident has made me pretty anxious about what's to come! Do I have any leg to stand on by claiming the lights turning green in front of me can be misinterpreted by motorists and this should be made clearer?

Thank you