How many RAC mechanics does it take to change a light bulb?

On a cold evening in November, I got into my Ford Focus to drive home.
    When I turned the headlights on, both low-beam bulbs blew, one after the other.
    I had a 24 mile journey ahead of me, mainly on busy, unlit roads. I decided it was best to get an RAC mechanic out, rather than try to drive all the way with high beams on.
    I expected a long wait, especially with the current Covid-hit staff problems, so I wasn't surprised when it took just over 2 and a half hours for the mechanic to arrive.
    The mechanic checked the electrics and confirmed it was just 2 failed bulbs. He supplied and fitted replacement bulbs. Both lights seemed to be functioning in the well lit car park, so I continued on my journey home.
    Once I was away from street lights I became aware that the level of light from the dipped beams was inadequate. The spread of the beam was poor and didn't reach much further than 5 yards from the front of the car.
    I continued driving home, having to drive with great caution where I couldn't use high beam.
    When I got home, I reported the issue, thinking that perhaps he'd fitted the wrong bulbs.
    Another mechanic was sent out the following morning. Without even lifting the bonnet he could see that both bulbs had been fitted upside down!
    This raises 3 questions;
    Obviously, the answer to my first question (at the top of this post) is; It takes 2 RAC mechanics to change a light bulb.
    Secondly, I'm staggered that such a error is actually possible. Is this an easy mistake?
    Finally, how would the RAC have responded if the police had given me a ticket for inadequate lighting?
    Last edited by t100martin; 10-01-22 at 10:50. Reason: More information
  • 1 Reply

I always wanted to find the answer to the question of how much mechanical RAC it takes to change a light bulb. Thanks for sharing