auto gear box problem - seemingly cured

I have an Astra gtc 1.4 turbo on a 63 plate. It has an auto gearbox Yesterday I had driven about 5 miles parked up outside a house and 10 minutes later went to drive home again. The car would not change out of low gear even when depressing the accelerator it just crawled along. I rang the RAC operator who was going to send a local mechanic to take a look but after a short conversation with ( I presume ) the mechanic, asked me to go and try pressing on the brake pedal as hard as I could. I did this and the fault miraculously cured itself and I was able to drive normally again. I passed this info on to the operator and the mechanic was cancelled. My concern now is that I don't know what caused the problem, how the action taken cured it, and if I need to do anything else in case it could happen again. If anyone could shed a light on any of the above I would be most grateful.
  • 1 Reply

Interesting I would like to know this too . I wonder if you had it cruise control and pressing the brakes knocked it off ?