How long to wait at a temp red light before assuming it is broken?

I’m asking this after reading the question on another forum because there tends to be more sensible answers given here (if anyone is still here!).

I have been in a situation before where I have waited at a red light for over 15 minutes with a queue building behind me and people getting out of their cars. People were coming through from the other directions no problem. Eventually I timed in my head when I thought both lights for the other directions of traffic would be red and went for it, and everyone followed me. No problems occurred.

Basically did I do anything wrong? Should you technically wait indefinitely / find another route, or is there a time limit after which it is reasonable to assume they are broken?

Thanks
  • 3 Replies

I would wait for two cycles of traffic coming the other way.

If I am able to see the opposite queue, then as soon as they stop again I would go.
    If I am unable to see the other queue, then it is more of a judgment when they have stopped coming the other way due their end being red, so it will be a proceed with caution looking for any ware to get out of the way if you have got it wrong.
    Although the law doesn't seem to provide any exemption for this situation, the Highway Code (Rule 176) says "If the traffic lights are not working, treat the situation as you would an unmarked junction and proceed with great care."

This is under "Junctions" rather than roadworks, but the same logic seems to apply.