Few maintenance questions

Hi Guys,

I am a new car owner/new driver. I have a couple of questions:

1) When I fill up on pressure, I need to provide a firm grip on the nozzle against the valve stem, I guess to ensure air doesn't leak. However, when I remove the nozzle, it requires abit of force and jerking. Should this be the case? I obviously don't want to break the valve stem. And when the nozzle is removed, there is a gush of air, presumably from the nozzle and not tire.

2) If tire pressures are uneven at the front, can this make the steering wheel turn on its own to either side? My understanding is yes due to rolling resistance and a difference in tire height.

3) Lastly, when a car tramlines, can this cause the same behaviour with the steering wheel turning?
  • 1 Reply

1) I assume you are using a garage air line, so yes it needs a hardish push to hold it on, as long as you are pushing in line with the valve you will not damage it.
    When you take it off, do so quickly, if you take it off slowly you will loose some air from the tyre, there will be some air to come out of the airline anyway.

2) To drag the steering to one side the pressure difference would have to be big, not just a pound or two.

3) Yes the car will tend to follow the tram lines.