So I bought an X-Type estate for £3,000 back in Feb. Nothing was advertised as being faulty in the ad, I rang ahead and he explained that he had set up a business (an actual business, registered and all) selling cars during lockdown as his pub wasn't going well. I arrived after a 4 hour drive, inspected the car all seemed good, he told me the check engine light had been on to do with the lambda sensor but he had had it fixed, I purchased the car and 20 minutes into ownership the check engine light came on. I rang him initially to take it back, but I agreed to take it to a local garage get it checked and go from there. It was MOT'd in Oct 20

The garage said the cat sounded hollow, he wasn't going to strip it as he didn't want to charge me for work. I rang the seller and explained to him what had happened and said provided it passes an emissions test all would be good, nothing untoward was said. It failed on emissions, tyre bulging, brake lines worn, contaminated oil, among others. I rang him to say that I was rejecting the car as the work needed was not acceptable given I'd just paid for the car, he began accusing me of tampering with the car, refused to offer any money towards the work, and then denied ever owning a business, saying it was his friends, and that the car was sold as seen. I'm looking to take him to court to recover the lost funds, under the RTA section 75 and 41 he has sold me unroadworthy car, I don't for a second believe that he wasn't told by the garage that carried out the work that there wasn't an emissions problem. He is selling multiple cars so I'm pretty confident he is classed as a dealer.

My question is can anyone here provide me with any hiccups that I might encounter?