Neighbour's car rolled into mine damaging rear wheel arch panel

Hello all fellow forum members,

I've been driving my 3-series (2011 320D Automatic) for over 5 years and haven't had to deal with insurance ever before until now.
    Few weeks back my neighbour's car rolled into back of mine (car wasn't left on hand break or hand brake was faulty) no one was in the car at the time of the incident, but I've got a CCTV of driver getting out. He's denied any wrong doing, as I've approached him prior to discovering CCTV footage, he's mum is a main driver, he must be named driver.
    The damage isn't bad, as it could have been much worse, but it hurts too see it every time I get into my car.
    You can see the CCTV footage here.
    Damage photo 1, photo 2, photo 3.
    I had to watch 2 weeks worth of CCTV recordings to identify the moment this had happened and take it to the insurance, as he's denying any wrong doing. My insurance apparently send the evidence to his insurance, who's asked him to confirm, but almost 2 months later and I'm still waiting for an answer.
    My insurance has asked me to get a quote for the repair.
    Do I take it to the BMW dealership? Who will do a good job, but then charge a fortune or do I take it to the small garage?
    If the cost of repair too high, will my car be written off, am I able to buy it back then or do I just leave it and repair it out of my own pocket?
    Never dealt with car insurance before and would appease if somebody could advise on the best actions here or what they would do to get the best of my situation?

Thank you in advance,
    Lumen
  • 2 Replies

Yes, if the car is written off you can buy it back from the insurers.

Most insurers have preferred body shops, I would give them a ring and ask.
    If your insurance pays for the repair to your car as it sounds they should they will just chase the other driver for the money and you won’t be involved any further. You have done the right thing by raising a claim against them not stress if you can but contact your insurance asking for next steps