Clutch burn out on a mini 3 years old 22 000 miles

Hello folks - anyone had issues with clutch burnout on a mini that's only 3 years old and done 22 000 miles? Really disgusted with MINI they're saying the life of a clutch depends on how it's driven and they don't have 'issues' with clutches! - well I know from other forums this is total rubbish they are just wanting 'off the hook' - would be grateful for any comments related to this - thanks Rosemarie
  • 8 Replies

Sorry, but I think there is some truth in it. If it juddered, dragged, snatched, rattled, yes, it could be a faulty clutch but I have known clutches to burn out in less than a year in the wrong hands (or feet!).
    I am afraid I agree with Motman.
    When you are back on the road, ask someone to ride with you, and look at your use of the clutch.
    The most common clutch killer, is sitting at traffic lights with the car in gear, they are not designed for that.
    Is sitting in gear with the clutch fully depressed bad?

I was of the understanding that the clutch is only worn out when it’s actually in use/slipping (not sure what the correct term is) I.e. when pulling away or if you decide to ride the clutch while stationary. I thought when fully depressed or fully not pressed it is not being worn. I am glad to be corrected as I like to be sympathetic to my cars...

I only say this as my current car has hill start assist and it actually “tells you off” if you do a handbrake hill start so if stopped on a hill I have learnt to be stopped on the foot brake, in 1st, clutch fully pressed down.

I am now wondering if I should go back to the old method and just ignore the bong that goes off if I do a handbrake start!
    I’d say the most common clutch killer apart from bad driving, is resting your foot on the clutch pedal when driving.
    Motman - I’m on about having the clutch fully pressed down while stationary, always thought this was OK to do.

As I understand it: when the clutch is pressed down fully, there is no contact being made between the discs so nothing is being worn

Happy to be corrected!
    Hi drivingforfun,
    The movement of the clutch pedal is transferred to the clutch mechanism through the clutch thrust bearing.
    With no load on the clutch pedal, the thrust bearing is free not under any load, with pressure on the clutch pedal the thrust bearing is under load, and clutch may well be slipping.
    The thrust bearing is designed for occasional load, changing gear setting off etc. It is not designed to be under load waiting for traffic lights etc.

When the bearing fails, because the clutch has to be opened up to replace it, it is usual to replace the clutch as well, and on cars with hydraulic operation where the clutch slave cylinder is inside the clutch housing it is usual to replace that as well.

Otherwise your description is about right.
    Last edited by wagolynn; 16-04-21 at 16:15.
    Thanks, wagolynn, appreciate the explanation
    No indication of clutch failing apart from last two days before it went completely! did 8 miles on one day and 6 the next and it just lost power and smelled of burning! I agree some people are rubbish drivers but I've been driving (different cars) for over 35 years! (I'm 62...) Never had a clutch burn out ... had one where the plates overheated on a very steep incline and had to reverse up it (due to someones accident further down the road) but after it cooling down and me having the RAC look at it everything was 'good to go'. I don't ride the clutch (I hold advanced motoring skills too!) So I am really angry that Mini automatically look no further than the driver - if this is the case then this new clutch should only last another 22k miles - would be laughable if it weren't so expensive. PS car also has stop/start technology and I don't sit with car in gear at the lights. cheers