Call the police? No MOT, No Tax, No Insurance Collision

Hi All,

Involved in a collision, Looking for advice on what to do next:

I was stopping at a giveway on a T-junction. Another car turns up the up the road, but cuts the corner! (I use this junction everyday and see this alot). We collided, my front right bumper to his right rear quarter, infront of the rear wheel.
    After clearing the junction (forgot to take picture before moving off), we had a chat. I said he cut the corner but he was addamant he did not. He suggested i seemed reasonable, we could 'go through insurance, or sort something out'. We take photos, and exhanged phone numbers and first names only, as he was in a hurry.

At this point I dont think i was over the give way lines, but i was close to them. If i was over then it would be my fault 100%? if i was behind the lines it would be his fault?
    There was no (solid) witnesses, but im waiting on a nearby business to see if their CCTV footage to shows my vehicles position.

Damage wise, my vehicle it was only superficial, £100-200 tops which im more than happy to take on the chin. His vehicle had a much worse damage, possiblly sructural. I am dredding him telling me to cough up £400-£1000. Need to check what my excess is but I will consider loosing NCB and suffering a premium hike.

Then... the plot thickens:
    shaken, I get home and run checks on his numberplate.
    DVLA - MOT expired Dec 2020!
    DVLA - Tax expired Dec 2020!
    MIB - Vehicle is not insured!

Does this mean the driver is not covered? There werent any trade plates.
    If he asks me for money do i tell him to get lost?
    Do i ask HIM for money?
    Do i invlove the police or confront him first?
    Do i call my insurer?
    Do i confront him about his insurance?
    Have i got him by the balls or vice-versa?
    Will i ever hear from him again?
    Was I at-fault?

Please help.

TLDR: Collided with a car cutting a corner, may or maynot be my fault. But driver is Untaxed, no MOT and no obvious insurance.
  • 4 Replies

Hi All,

Involved in a collision, Looking for advice on what to do next:

I was stopping at a giveway on a T-junction. Another car turns up the up the road, but cuts the corner! (I use this junction everyday and see this alot). We collided, my front right bumper to his right rear quarter, infront of the rear wheel.
    After clearing the junction (forgot to take picture before moving off), we had a chat. I said he cut the corner but he was addamant he did not. He suggested i seemed reasonable, we could 'go through insurance, or sort something out'. We take photos, and exhanged phone numbers and first names only, as he was in a hurry.
    So what heppens if you try to phone him, and he's given you a false number? If it happens again, remember that the law requires you both to give your name and address, and those of the car owner, if different. That is for your own protection.

As for fault, without seeing the incident it's impossible to say. Bear in mind that at a give-way every part of the car must stop before the second of the two broken lines.

You need to report it to your insurers, whether you claim or not.

The other driver may have been insured, there is no way to tell.
    As far as I know, car insurers have a fund they can draw on for claims against un-insured drivers, give all the details you have to your insurers.

The fact he was probably driving illegally doe's not make any difference to liability.

Involving the Police is probably the correct thing to do as a good citizen.
    So what heppens if you try to phone him, and he's given you a false number? If it happens again, remember that the law requires you both to give your name and address, and those of the car owner, if different. That is for your own protection.

As for fault, without seeing the incident it's impossible to say. Bear in mind that at a give-way every part of the car must stop before the second of the two broken lines.

You need to report it to your insurers, whether you claim or not.

The other driver may have been insured, there is no way to tell.

Thanks for your help,

I have spoken with him on the phone since. I said i was unable to accept 100% liabilty as i believe i was behind the lines. He came to my workplace demanding £400 upfront for damages. I said i wont do that, I would prefer he went through his insurance and would be happy to swap insurance details. When asked to present his insurance details (I had mine to hand) he came back empty handed exclaiming he cant afford the excess/premium hike. Phone a friend bought the repair bill down to £250. I said id sleep on it and let him know.

The situation makes me uneasy (he now knows where I work and park my car during office hours), im actually glad he doesnt have my personal address yet.

I checked if vehicle is insured on the Motor Insurance Database that the police use for checks. Are there exceptions where a driver can be insured but not the car (other than motortrade)?

As far as I know, car insurers have a fund they can draw on for claims against un-insured drivers, give all the details you have to your insurers.

The fact he was probably driving illegally doe's not make any difference to liability.

Involving the Police is probably the correct thing to do as a good citizen.

Thanks,
    The MIB? I called them for advice, not to make a claim, they said to tell insurance company the situation and cut communication with the driver and take it to police if i continue to get harassed, which i think is the way i will go with this. I have already made a police traffic incident report.
    Phone him up, tell him you want to go through your insurance, ask him for his insurance details and take it from there. You may not hear from him again.