Privately Sold car dispute

After some advice about the following:-

Advertised a Ford Kuga as mechanically sound as MOT Until May and full service history, plus new alternater starter motor etc + I was using it up until recently to commute 76 miles a day. Sold said car to a Trained Vehicle Technicianon on the 17 Jan after he spent 45 minutes checking it over he declined the offer of taking it for a test drive. Buyer contacted me on the 24 Jan to say it would not start. He said he found the fuel filter needed changing and that it was in an arwful state dispite the service history stating that it was changed in 2018, he stated that he did not believe that it had been changed. He contacted me again on the 31 Jan to say it would not start again and that he wanted his money back which I politely refused. He then quoted the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and stated that he would take me to the Small Claims Court.

Your thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.

Regards

Steve J
  • 1 Reply

If you are private seller, he has no comeback, unless you knowingly claimed something that was not true.

I am not surprised that the fuel filter was gunged up, most garages take short cuts on service if they think they can get away with it.