court for speeding but not driver

HELP NEEDED

I own a vehicle which I leave at a friends house for the family to use as they are disabled. (it is registered at their address)
    3 of them went on a long journey to visit a friend and some time later, a speeding ticket arrived in my name for doing 46/47 in a 40 zone.
    They opened it to pay it but found that it was asking for the name of the driver at the time.
    As they are disabled and find driving uncomfortable and sometimes painful, they swap drivers frequently, and as they were on unfamiliar roads, could not be sure who was actually driving at the time.
    They wrote to explain this but another letter arrived asking for the drivers name.

They wrote back again explaining everything and asked how much the fine was so they could pay it, this was refused.
    They wrote back again asking if photographic evidence could be sent so that they could see which one was driving, this was refused.

Finally, a letter arrived instructing me to complete an online form which I did, then a letter arrived for me to attend court.
    I knew nothing of it until then as they had been dealing with it and had not told me.

They are happy to attend court to explain all this but is there anything I can do? Is all this really necessary?
  • 1 Reply

This is a horrible mess. Your friends opened a letter addressed to you, and which would have said clearly that only you should reply. Despite this, they replied.

I guess you are now being charged with failing to name the driver, which will be difficult to defend. It's a nasty offence, as it carries six points and an endorsement code which will mean your premiums will soar for the next five years.

You need expert advice, which you will get at pepipoo.com.

BTW are all of your friends insured to drive the car?