Battery issue ?

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 petrol 80k

4 days of it being sat electrics come on but car clicks once and nothing happens on key turn.

battery reading 9.5v charged battery fully and still the same issue.

have cleaned the earths under the battery tray and on the side of near UEC.

stripped UEC off and electrical contact cleaned that and is in the airing cupboard now.

next I’m going to follow the red wire from battery to starter and clean that up.

Got it all back together and it fired up.

Checked the voltage this morning and showing as 12.15v

So I’m guessing either my battery is bad or a drain ?

Or could an alternator cause this drop.

Is a drop from 12.4v to 12.1v normal freezing icy conditions ?

maybe time to buy my battery a hat and scarf.

I went back through receipts looks like I bought the battery Feb 2018 so relatively newish I thought it was older for some reason.

Update: battery test done and the results drum roll:

The print out says to replace.

His machine reads

12.58v
    measured 370
    rating 540

so the CCA is down 170

the guy said even if the battery says fully charged in the 30 mins it took. He said take it inside overnight and leave it. But the lower CCA won’t change ?

he said do a draw test to see if anything is draining it and it should be sub 50ma after 30 mins of leaving it. If it’s above the hunt the issue.

He said the alternator is chucking out the Volts of over 14v.

so I guess I should first check for a drain or just replace it ?

Eurocarparts said they would replace if they tested it and it had a dead cell.

if the CCA rating is down its a grey area

Sorry for the long winded Post

advice welcomed
  • 2 Replies

Don't forget the battery voltage and capacity will be lower than normal on cold days.
    I would make sure there is nothing draining the battery, if so fix it, run the car and wait and see what happens.

Do you do a lot of short runs, these would not give the alternator much time to recharge the battery?
    You could try to regenerate the battery if it is a standard lead acid type, with a suitable charger. AGM batteries are not happy with regeneration but a one off may bring back it's quality. As already stated the cold recent weather will give a tired battery a severe knock when trying to start the car.