RAC Approved Vehicle Prep Certificate...?

I bought a used BMW car from dealer and 12 hours later overnight, I woke up to a mysterious crack in windshield. Took it back to dealer who denied responsibility, took it to glass repair who says it's been already repaired and it's as good as it gets, needs a new one. Back to dealer and after many discussions they agreed to contribute half cost of windshield replacement.

I had it done with dealer and I paid £100 for a windshield that is no longer a BMW part, the cracked one was BMW. Same price as if I've done it somewhere else, but according to dealer they paid 50% if total cost.

What bothers me is the RAC Car Approved Preparation Standard Checklist, has "Action Required" ticked next to:

-Windscreen free from damage that would exclude MOT test-
    Dealer is very vague about what action was taken to bring windshield to standard, they claim not to know as it could've been anything, they say. I know I didn't crack it, under a mile ride home and parked off road in my driveway.

Also, they won't provide the RAC Approved Vehicle Preparation CERTIFICATE. And despite claiming a Schedule Maintenance was performed they have no proof, last service electronically recorded is 2018.

Any prompt advice is greatly appreciated.
  • 1 Reply

Under the circumstances we can only guess, it looks as though the RAC engineer found a stone chip on the wind screen that would not affect the MOT, and the glass repairers say it had been fixed once, so assume the garage had it fixed.

Wind screen repairers cannot fix cracks.

The low temperature at night may have caused the screen to crack.
    As to the service you would have to look at the car handbook, and work out what an appropriate service would be for the mileage.