Car parked right outside house over 5 months making disabled driver parking difficult

hi all,

There has been a car parked outside my house for over 5 months. It has foliage (branches & leaves ) in the windscreen & noone has touched it. The vehicle has had its tax updated but now the MOT has expired. The MOT is 2 months out of date NB- the car is not parked OVER the drive.
    The police say to get in touch with the council.
    The council say it has not been abandoned as they have been in touch with the owners who live nearby ? apparently! and they said the owners have said not abandoned. It has regularly been reported as abandoned every month it has been there.
    The council also said “the owners of the car have a right to park on their street” i find this statement a bit odd as legally noone has the right to park right outside their house- this is the case for everyone on the street.
    Heres the complicated bit- my brother is a disabled driver with severe MSK pain & often his joints get loose/ dislocate. We have a drive- however it is not a new huge drive- it is one that the house came with & the concrete on it is becoming loose & bumpy. The drive is very narrow. Due to this person having dumped their car outside our house for over 5 months now- every time my brother drives, he has to park it right into the drive & reverse it out again. We can’t afford to get a brand new drive right now. Apparently it doesn’t constitute for a disabled services grant to get our drive repaired smoothed over. He gets fatigued very easily & can only make short journeys anyway- It would make a big difference if he had the option to just occasionally park over his own drive!
    The MOTon the nuisance car has now been out for 2 months & the council aren’t interested that the car is parked “illegally” on a public highway.
    Disabled parking bay regulations state that to apply to get a bay, you usually can’t have access to off road parking. I know that our drive is “a drive” but as we have had to use it continually more this 5 months due to this idiot driver, the drive has become loosened incredibly & is now veering on dangerous. Please can anyone give advice & be kind.
    I know that noone has the rights to park right outside house. I also know that even if a disabled bay was put in- its not guaranteed for my brother & isopen to anyone with a disabledbadge
    How long can this car stay outside our house without its MOT?
    Really sick of this situation as my brother’s body is in lots of MSK pain. i was wondering about the council applying reasonable adjustments under the equality act- to get this car to move?
  • 2 Replies

Have you tried Citizens Advice Bureau?

They may be able to help get the car shifted, due to no MOT or they may be able to get help for you with the drive.

Good Luck