Adding provisional licence holder as named driver lowers insurance policy?

Hey all!

Long story short, my boyfriend is currently looking into buying a new car and we're pretty sure we've found one (02' plate Fiesta 1.4L, if it's of any relevance). Anyway, after doing a quick MoneySuperMarket insurance quote check it turns out that he can get insurance for around £360. Out of interest we went on to see how much it would cost to add myself as a named driver and after recalculating the price dropped to around £300?! Below are some details for clarity:

Boyfriend - Full licence holder for 6+ years with no accidents or convictions and full no claims.
    Myself - Provisional licence holder for 9+ years with no accidents or convictions.

The only thing that changed between the two quotes was adding myself as a named driver. Nothing else changed. How can this result in a £60 discount on the insurance policy? If anyone can shed any light whatsoever on this it would be greatly appreciated! Cheers! =)
  • 5 Replies

Hi Meta,
    I long ago stopped trying to workout any simple logic in motor insurance, if what is covered (courtesy car, excess) is the same in both quotes I would take the lower one.
    I had something similar with my daughters insurance years ago. When she passed and I notified the insurers, the premium went up! I asked why and they said it was because she would now be driving on her own with no experienced driver sitting next to her and would be more likely to have an accident. So, be prepared for a price hike when you pass your test!
    Motman - the same happened to me when I passed, you can at least see the logic behind that, though. However the OP’s situation I am struggling to work out. I guess Wagolynn is correct!
    You'll need to arrange your own insurance policy and add the person who'll be taking you out in the car as a named driver. If you take out cover while you're driving with a provisional licence, you'll start to build up your no claims discount, which can reduce your car insurance premium going forwards.