Car park scrape..

Had a little bump in a public car park yesterday, another driver and I reversing out of opposite spaces at the same time. He insisted it was my fault however I'm sure our insurers would agree it was a 50/50 split liability as we were both reversing and simply bumped each-other. He insisted on not calling our insurers so we exchanged phone numbers and I later received a phone call from him more or less demanding I fork out £170 for a scratch to be repainted. I texted him refusing to pay as I we're both to blame for the situation and I suggested we both sort it ourselves or go through insurance (which he was adamant on not doing) and forget about it.

Do I need to tell my insurance about the incident despite how minor it was? I know it would be best as this protects me if he contacts his insurance, however I'm doubtful he even has any at this point as his last message to me was him telling me I needed to pay for it.
  • 1 Reply

I would hand it over to the insurers, as you say it is probably a 50/50 job but it looks as though you are not going to agreement from the other party.

It looks as though you are both guilty of reversing by looking in your mirrors rather than what you were taught to do (turn in your seat to look backwards) doing this allows your peripheral vision to come into play.