Dropped kerb shared access

Hi everyone, I’m new here. Just after some advice. Our new neighbours have turned their front garden From a grass and soil front garden into a paved drive. They are accessing their drive by driving on the shared alleyway between our semi detached houses then turning onto their drive. They do not have a dropped kerb across the front of their property, however, the kerb is dropped across the shared alleyway. Are they allowed to drive over the shared dropped kerb to access their drive? Technically, only around 1.5 metres of the shared alleyway is their land. There is also a lamppost approx 0.5 metres in from their property boundary. So 0.5 metres from where the dropped kerb begins on their side. Are they allowed to access a drive in this way? They did not seek planning permission for the drive and have made It out of non porous materials so I’m hoping the council will come and inspect and tell them they’re not allowed to use it. Thanks
  • 4 Replies

That’s how all shared drives work. Mines the same.
    My heart always sinks when I see this kind of query. Before you know it someone will be chucking rubbish over the fence, posting dog poo through the letterbox and threatening their neighbour with a shotgun.

Does the way your neighbour use their drive interfere with your life and enjoyment in a significant amount?
    Do you really want to fall out with them?
    Can't you come to an accommodation with them?
    I would have thought that there would be something in your deeds about the use of the shared access as solicitors are very well aware of the problems that can ensue if there is a dispute.

AFAIK drives don't need planning consent. It is possible that the council will notice if is it is not up to their standards, but unlikely.

Think about possible end results. What do you want - is it for them to stop parking their car in their drive? Is that a realistic outcome? If you start complaining, what do you think will happen?

I want them to apply and pay for a dropped kerb in front of their house. I completely get what your saying about the potential for a massive fallout, but since they’ve moved in, they’ve had no regard for any of their neighbours. They didn’t even, out of politeness, mention that they would start using the shared alleyway as their own personal drive. It’s shared, not just theirs.

As mentioned, there is a street light about half a metre in from the edge of their drive. It’s positioned in such a way that the council probably wouldn’t allow that property to have a drive in the first place. That’s probably why it was always just a front garden and not a drive. It’s frustrating because they think they can do what they want... and they are.

The lamppost on their drive, which forces them to drive in/reverse out across the shared alley (as opposed to straight in or out through the front) means that if we have visitors over who have parked solely in front of our house, our visitors car will block them from being able to drive in/out via the side.
    "Technically, only around 1.5 metres of the shared alleyway is their land".

No, technically ALL of the shared alleyway is theirs as well as yours. It’s a SHARED drive.,