Driving to Europe in Salary Sacrifice Company Car

Hi there. I am hoping to set off on a journey from UK to Switzerland in my company car. I understand that I may need to take the V5C to prove ownership of the vehicle. However, because the V5C is in the name of the company and not in my name, I think I may need to provide a VE103. Does anybody have any experience of this? Any searches I do are suggesting this is for lease/hire vehicles but this is not a lease vehicle,the company own the vehicle and it's my company vehicle.

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.
  • 3 Replies

When I was a fleet manager, we used to send people to the EU quite frequently in our company-owned cars. I had a letter that I would print out saying something like: Mr C Westwood is an employee of this company and is authorised to drive vehicle No AB19ABC to France and Switzerland on Company business.

I would staple this to the original V5c and give it to the driver along with an original copy (yes I know that's an oxymoron) of the insurance certificate. I also obtained a Swiss Vignette in advance (buy it online £45.00 from https://swiss-vignette.co.uk/cart/). I also provided stickers for the headlights, a GB sticker and high-viz vests.

No driver was ever required to produce these documents, even in the case of one who was involved in a minor RTA in France, but I understand that the authorities, especially the French, have been getting tougher lately.

You need to talk to whoever manages your car fleet.
    Originally Posted by Santa;n198294
    When I was a fleet manager, we used to send people to the EU quite frequently in our company-owned cars. I had a letter that I would print out saying something like: Mr C Westwood is an employee of this company and is authorised to drive vehicle No AB19ABC to France and Switzerland on Company business.

I would staple this to the original V5c and give it to the driver along with an original copy (yes I know that's an oxymoron) of the insurance certificate. I also obtained a Swiss Vignette in advance (buy it online £45.00 from https://swiss-vignette.co.uk/cart/). I also provided stickers for the headlights, a GB sticker and high-viz vests.

No driver was ever required to produce these documents, even in the case of one who was involved in a minor RTA in France, but I understand that the authorities, especially the French, have been getting tougher lately.

You need to talk to whoever manages your car fleet.

Many thanks for the info.

Your policy should start with what is the purpose of the document and the areas it will cover such as eligibilty and choice. This section should cover where the policy fits in relation to other process documents (e.g. Expenses Policy) and where the contact points are for further queries or points of escalation in relation to the policy.
    Contact numbers should be included covering all main fleet service providers so employees have a quick route to the information they may need.