Insurance refuse to give bike back

My motorbike was stolen a couple of weeks ago and recovered a couple of days later, it was recovered and picked up by my insurance, they told me it was not repairable with the following wrong with it,

Your bike has been confirmed as a Category B Total Loss which means it has suffered serious damage so the vehicle cannot be repaired as it un-roadworthy.

The engineer’s report confirmed damage to: mirrors, fairings, exhaust, brake levers, tail piece, rear lamp, headlamps, front indicators, rear indicators, ignition switch, lockset/steering lock and the front and rear mud guard.

i dont agree with this report because i seen the bike and dident see all that damage, so i have phoned hastings and told them i would rather get the bike back and get it fixed myself because they are saying they will only give me about £400 for it and its only 5 months old, so on the phone to them they are saying they legally cant give me the bike back because its un road worthy but i want to get this fixed and back on the road, is there anything i can do to get my bike back? its still my bike at the end of the day and they wont even put it on the back of a truck and drop it off.

any help is appriciated thanks.
  • 4 Replies

You can argue about what the bike is worth, look for adverts of a bike the same age/make as yours.

Cat B write offs cannot be fixed and re-used.

You could get an independent engineer (at your cost) to evaluate the bike but I think it may not be worth doing that.
    £400 for a 5 month old bike? How much was it new - if it’s one of those cheapo £599 on the road Chinese jobbies, I’d take the money and buy another.
    I think that with a Category B Total Loss the insurance Co are legally obliged to ensure that the vehicle is taken off the road permanently.

Category B cars have to be destroyed due to the level of damage they have sustained, but while the bodyshell must never be used again, some parts from a Cat B car can be removed and sold on. That includes wheels, seats and some mechanical parts, including the engine.
    Insurance companies have been around for centuries, and financially literate people long ago figured out how to use life insurance correctly. The insurance they (and my clients) buy is different from that bought by new immigrants and from temporary insurance. Common sense is used when making a decision: It's better to buy a good quality thing once than to buy a poor quality thing often and throw it away without ever using it. You cannot, for various reasons, take back things that were damaged by you or in your absence. Check out how much is a 750,000 life insurance policy and you'll see what we're talking about and why insurance companies work this way.
    Last edited by Rosylyinter; 03-06-21 at 11:04.