Car trader?

Hello, I’m looking for some advice. What makes a person a car trader? I bought a Nissan Qashqai in August, 2 miles from the mans house the car broke down. We contacted the seller straight away and he said sold as seen. No refund was offered or any help. I had the car looked at by a mechanic, he told me the car has been topped up regularly with oil to hide a broken turbo. I have taken the person to small claims court. I have since found loads of adverts of around 20 different cars all over Facebook and market place. The total of around 21k. I had mediation and the man is denying him and his grandsons are traders. (These are the people who were involved in the sale of the car). I am due to go to court and wondered if anyone had been through anything similar? And have you been successful at court ?
  • 2 Replies

I think CAB would give you access to Trading standards or you could approach tour local Trading Standards direct.
    From what you say, they are Dealers who are trying to dodge the responasbuility, so Trading Standards will be very interested.
    Hi, anyone selling 3 or more vehicles a year is considered a trader and should have trade insurance (needed for test drives) and have a business registered.
    I'm sure HMRC would love to know about their £21,000 worth of vehicles online.
    You must be wary of anyone selling vehicles that has all different vehicles to what you see on streetview & when you arrive to buy one. If they have different vehicles and excess amount for the house, they're most probably car dealers that wouldn't mind ripping people off.