Warranty scam!

Hi, I bought a car with 78k miles. The dealer I bought it from really sold me the 4 year warranty with RAC. (Platinum). Now after reading the wording I just realised the warranty isn't valid once the car reaches 8 years of age (this car is 7 years old) , and it's not valid after exceeding 80k miles! The warranty will literally run out in like 2-3 months of driving due to this wording! So with the age one that means they sold me a 4 year warranty that is gaurenteed invalid after a year! An 80k mileage limit on a car sold with 78k on the clock? Is this even legal, to misguide and sell warranty that wont even be valid? What can I do ? Can I make a case ?
  • 8 Replies

Have you read the warranty conditions correctly? I know that Land Rover extended warranties are valid on all cars less than 10 years old and with less than 100,000 Miles on the clock at the time of purchase. Have another check just to be sure.
    Originally Posted by Motman;n195386
    Have you read the warranty conditions correctly? I know that Land Rover extended warranties are valid on all cars less than 10 years old and with less than 100,000 Miles on the clock at the time of purchase. Have another check just to be sure.

It quotes: "all mechanical and electrical parts are included for failure to perform their normal function on the vehicle (provided that at the time of the repair request the vehicle is less than 8 years old and / or has covered less than 80,000 miles) ..
    Oh well, that’s seems pretty unfair, bearing in mind it was issued on a car with 78k on the clock. Under those circumstances you shouldn’t have been sold a warranty and I’d demand a refund. You can purchase a warranty elsewhere but to be honest, most stand alone warranties are full of get out clauses.
    Originally Posted by Motman;n195392
    Oh well, that’s seems pretty unfair, bearing in mind it was issued on a car with 78k on the clock. Under those circumstances you shouldn’t have been sold a warranty and I’d demand a refund. You can purchase a warranty elsewhere but to be honest, most stand alone warranties are full of get out clauses.

Could The Motor Ombudsman help me cancel the warranty for a refund as it has been missold to me?
    Why not go to dealer and ask them to cancel first?
    Originally Posted by alan1302;n195396
    Why not go to dealer and ask them to cancel first?

Of course, if that fails then
    @iwantademo123 I bought a 3 year warranty with RAC when buying my used Audi Q5 from Fords of Winsford, Trafford. I paid £1000 for 3 year cover. Its garbage. I made a claim as my car went into limp mode and message had check engine. Went online and found a garage for diagnostic they suggested on their website. The garage did the diagnostic and said we cant do the work as its to do with turbo. Advised to go back to RAC. Called RAC and they told me to go to one of 3 recommended approved repairers. They were all over 10 miles away and I live in Warrington so plenty of garages here. So I took it to their approved recommended garage. The garage calls and says RAC will only approve £108 of the bill as they deem the repair will only last 0.3hrs according to the website they check. They will also only pay £32 for a part as they found it on Euro Car Parts. Its the cheapest piece of plastic. Garage said they wouldn't use that part as its rubbish and not worth installing. The part they wanted to fit cost £118 and when I checked online, that was about right for a decent turbo air flow sensor.
    Anyway, RAC argue that they will only pay for the 0.3hr labour and the cheap part and the rest is up to me. They say its in the T&C and its tough.
    My anger is that they told me to take it to their approved garage which is out of my way only for them then to dispute the charges and refuse to pay. Why would they recommend an approved garage if they don't agree with their rates and parts costs. If they told me in advance that this might happen, I would have taken it to Audi or a local garage and paid the difference. Appalling customer service and treatment.
    I have since made complaints to Assurant and the responses I have received are awful. In summary, the message is tough, its in your T&C's. This whole incident has left me with no car for over a week, stress and worry, and massive inconvenience and time. I have not got the money to cover the rest of the bill, and have been left without a car and with a £1000 warranty that is not worth the paper its written on. I am unable to get any refund. I believe I have been mis sold the warranty at point of sale in FOW, as they claimed it was piece of mind and very easy should something go wrong. They never discussed policy limitations of T&C's. I would have never bought this policy if I was made aware of the way in which RAC treat customers and refuse to pay when something goes wrong.
    "Will I have to pay anything when I claim on my car warranty?"

If your repair is covered under the warranty, you won’t have to pay for anything, unless the repair costs more than £2,000. Please refer to your plan terms & conditions for specific coverage details regarding parts and labour.
    https://www.rac.co.uk/car-care/car-warranty

Check the terms and conditions to see if it states they will use factory approved parts for repairs, and as a last resort don't you have truth in advertising laws?