1000cc Sport Bike as a first motorcycle?

So I plan on getting a motorcycle as a secondary source of transportation partially due to the rising gas prices. I have been looking at several different sport bikes and I am leaning towards the Yamaha YZF R1. Alot of people that I have discussed this with say that I'm going to kill myself, and I see from their point of view it seems that way (19 year old guy with a 1000cc sport bike). But I'm not an irresponsible person and I understand that you can get hurt very easily with a bike like that. So I am looking for the opinions of anyone who owns a similar sport bike or just a motorcycle in general.
    Thank You
    https://lillianlottiecouture.com
  • 1 Reply

You’re obviously not in the UK as you need to be 24 years old to do a direct access test to ride anything over 600cc. I got back into bikes in my fifties when I bought a 125 to commute on. After a while I took and passed my test, moved up to a 300cc. I then bought a 650cc touring scooter and did a few European trips. I changed that for a Yamaha FJR 1300 sports tourer. Frighteningly fast but nowhere near as fast as my mates R1. Unless you are just on here as a wind-up, listen to what people say. Unless you ride like a nun, you’ll kill yourself on an R1. I’d hazard a guess that that bike will be near the top of the list of bikes people have died on. Don't be silly.