News: New petrol and diesel vehicles will be banned from 2035

Administrator
    The government has announced that the UK is bringing forward a ban on the sale of new petrol and diesel cars and vans to 2035.

The ban was announced ahead of the launch of a UK-hosted UN climate summit, and will include hybrids for the first time.

This effectively means that only new electric or hydrogen vehicles could be sold after this date, which will inevitably strongly impact the makeup of vehicles in UK dealerships and on our roads over the next 15-20 years.

Alongside Sir David Attenborough at the event, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said that "2020 must be the year we turn the tide on global warming" and is setting out these plans as part of the UK's commitment to hit a 2050 net zero emissions target.

Full Article:

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/new-petrol-and-diesel-vehicles-will-be-banned-from-2035/

Last edited by Aure; 05-11-20 at 15:17.
  • 5 Replies

I wonder what effect that will have on the second hand market, I suppose it will go up as the hydrocarbon fuel cars get fewer.
    I agree but my guess is a big initial drop first, to near scrap value, followed by rises as enough ICE cars get scrapped or traded in under incentive schemes and they become rarer. Remember used ICE cars will be competing with a big used electric car market by 2035. There will likely be a used electric car available at any price point, even a 15-20 year old one for £500, so the equally priced ICE option may look unattractive to a buyer. Couple that with possible fuel duty rises to price people out of ICEs.
    It also seems likely that a lot of filling stations will close down.
    Originally Posted by Santa;n197139
    It also seems likely that a lot of filling stations will close down.

Yes, I think there will - it's a shame that hydrogen fuel for vehicles is not ready for mainstream sales as filling stations could be swapped over from petrol/diesel to hydrogen as it became more popular but think there are a lot of years to go before that could the case.
    Hydrogen has a lot going for it but it needs someone to commit to producing it, and the government favouring electric cars has not helped.