RAC Forum Rules

Community Manager
    We ask that all members of the RAC Forum behave in a civil manner and treat other members with respect and courtesy at all times.

In short, treat others how you would like to be treated!

The quick version of our community house rules

Our community managers and moderators will take action to address any inappropriate behaviour, will remove any unacceptable content and ban users who break our community rules.
    This includes

• Discrimination of any kind
    • Threatening posts/behaviour
    • Behaviour likely to offend
    • Spam
    • Swearing
    • Personal details/images (phone numbers, addresses, payment information etc.)
    • Advertising
    • Scams
    • Graphic content

We may update these guidelines at any point, so check back to familiarise yourself with them every so often.

The longer version of our community house rules

No personal info

Like any other website, the RAC community forums can be viewed by anyone or searched via Google and other search engines. Your forum username will be visible to everybody but your real name and email address will only be viewed by the Community Team.

For your safety and privacy, please do not post personal details such as phone numbers, address details, email address, private messages content, sensitive customer service message content, IP addresses, your driver’s licence, car registration or any other sensitive information on the forum for everyone to see.
    If you see any personal information, please report it using the “Report post” button on the post itself.
    This guideline accounts for the details of RAC staff members too. Please do not reference staff members by full name, or divulge any of their contact details without their permission.

Search first

Use the search function before posting a question to see if you can find the answer to your question from previously-posted threads. We have a guide on the community search function here.
    If you still can’t find what you’re after, don’t be afraid to post a question. Asking questions is as much a part of contributing to the community as answering them.

Respect each other

New members and regular contributors alike - everyone has the right to post their views, as well as ask a question, regardless of their knowledge.

• Don’t hold other members up for negative judgement or belittle them if they get something wrong; we were all learners once! It’s a great opportunity for you to teach them about the community and the help they are giving.
    • Be pleasant and constructive – no offensive, defamatory or abusive language.
    • No unlawful, libellous, damaging or injurious submissions.
    • No spam (repeated post/views that do not help a member in their thread).
    • Do not post in all CAPS; this is considered yelling. Please keep it down.
    • Public naming and shaming of other members for whatever negative reason is disrespectful. Such posts will be edited or removed.
    • Our community staff are as much a part of the forum as everyone else, so please extend your respect to them too.
    • Please consider this guideline when you have conversations with each other in Private Messaging as well as on the public forum side.

Pointless posts

Pointless posts are posts that do not offer value or contribute to a discussion. They also deviate from discussions. If a community member is asking for advice, before you reply, make sure you read the previous replies first and understand also what the original poster is asking. Try and make sure your replies are helpful and relevant to that thread. If you have a discussion point that is related, try to make sure it is still relevant.

Community self-moderating

If you see something that you think needs to be addressed, feel free to report it so that it can be looked at. This is done when members believe someone isn’t following the guidelines. Members do this by using the “Report post” link in the top-right corner of each post.
    If you have reported something, there is no need to reply on the thread in question that you have done so. The report is enough and the community team will pick it up.

Stay on topic

To help everyone, please try to stick to the topic, and start a new thread if there is something unrelated you’d like to discuss. If a thread starts to head off-topic, a member of the community staff may move the comments/thread somewhere more appropriate. Remember also that we have a whole section for off-topic discussions here in case your topic/comment doesn’t fit into any other category.

Advertising

• No advertising items for sale or external commercial websites/web-pages offering products for sale.
    • Please don’t advertise goods/services for sale. Other websites are specifically set up for this task.
    • Please do not use this community to advertise or promote other communities or groups, neither publicly or via direct messages.
    • Please don't post any links to surveys or questionnaires without the permission of a community manager.

Impersonating RAC staff and other RAC forum members

Do not impersonate RAC staff or other RAC Community members in any way.

Usernames

Inappropriate usernames are subject to permanent suspension. Inappropriate includes obscene, defamatory or abusive, libellous, damaging, injurious, foul, swearing, racist language, advertising of goods, services and websites.
    Please do not use the company name of RAC in your username, as well as a username that appears to be critical of other companies. If so, you may be asked to choose an alternative username by the community team.

Do not use avatars that may be considered inappropriate (reasons such as those listed above).

Disputes

In the event of disputes or clarification on any of the guidelines the community management team’s decision is final.
    If you wish to escalate any discussion or dispute you may have with a member of our Community team regarding the guidelines and their implementation, please ask for this to be raised with a community manager.

Content

The majority of content posted on the RAC Forum is created by members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not ours. We are not responsible for any content posted by members of the public on the RAC Forum or for the availability or content of any third-party sites that are accessible through the RAC Forum. Any links to third-party websites from the RAC Forum do not amount to any endorsement of that site by us and any use of that site by you is at your own risk. Any content that needs to be removed as a breach of any guidelines will be done so by the community staff team.

You or the owner of the content still own the copyright in the content shared in the RAC Forumn, but by submitting content to us, you are granting us an unconditional, irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free, fully transferable, perpetual worldwide licence to use, publish and/or transmit, and to authorise third-parties to use, publish and/or transmit your content in any format and on any platform, either now known or hereafter invented. For example, we may wish to share photos posted in the RAC Forum in one of our RAC Drive news articles and guides, and in our email newsletters.

Best Answers

It is acceptable to ask a member to accept one of the replies they receive to a question as a best answer, but you cannot ask for your own posts to be accepted as the best answer.

Technical Advice

RAC does not accept responsibility for any loss, damage or disadvantage you may suffer relating to technical advice you have received on the forum. It is not intended to replace the need for your vehicle to be inspected, and RAC would always encourage you to have the vehicle checked by an expert if you believe there is a fault with it.

RAC does not in any way endorse any third party or third party product that may be referred to on the forum.

RAC does not accept responsibility for any loss or damage you may suffer relating to services carried out by any third parties that you may choose to instruct after receiving advice.

You should seek expert assistance if you have any doubts as to your ability to conduct vehicle repairs/maintenance or you do not have suitable tools and/or a safe working environment.
    The General Terms detailed in your RAC Terms of Membership also apply.

General advice

RAC does not accept responsibility for any loss, damage or disadvantage you may suffer relating to advice received on this forum. Any advice offered is based on the information provided by you and is intended as general guidance only. RAC would always encourage you to contact the relevant bodies / organisations when seeking advice.
    RAC does not in any way endorse any third party or third party product that may be referred to on the forum.
    RAC does not accept responsibility for any loss or damage you may suffer relating to services carried out by any third parties that you may choose to instruct after receiving advice on the forum.
    The General Terms detailed in your RAC Terms of Membership also apply.

Breach of guidelines

Any breach of these guidelines may result in editing or removal of comments/threads or may result in a temporary or permanent suspension from the community – however, the Community team will attempt to reconcile any issues through discussion before a suspension is even considered in most cases.

Any offensive content or abuse made towards staff as a result of a temporary suspension or moderation will not be tolerated. It will also affect any chance of a suspended account being allowed back on the community.
    Creating an alternative account to circumvent moderation activity will not be tolerated.
    Last edited by Mark07; 14-02-24 at 13:14.

Thanks,
    Mark.

Welcome to the RAC Community! Start here 😀
    You can say hi and introduce yourself too 👋
    What should you do after a collision? 🤔
  • 11 Replies

How do we get in touch with the forum moderator?
    Why can I post in this thread but not any other? Why, as an existing forum member, am I still waiting after 4 days for my posts to be checked by a moderator? What’s going on?
    Was wondering if you’d be back Motman. Sorry to see you are having problems...could try posting on this thread once more as I believe I read somewhere that new posters are restricted till they make 3 posts and we’ve all had our post count reset to 0.
    Was wondering if youâd be back Motman. Sorry to see you are having problems...could try posting on this thread once more as I believe I read somewhere that new posters are restricted till they make 3 posts and weâve all had our post count reset to 0.
    I've made at least half a dozen posts since finding the site up and running - still waiting for them to be approved by a moderator! There doesn’t seem to be any way to contact them. You couldn’t send a pm to M.Renk for me could you? 🤞
    Administrator
    Morning all,

Apologies for the delay in responding, we noticed that when we restored the forum back on the new site the same spamming issues reappeared from the old forum, we've had to implement a workaround but it should now all be functioning correctly and preventing all of the spam going through. We have an approval system in place and once 3 posts have been approved you will be able to post freely without needing it.

Thanks again for your patience!
    can’t see the post i made earlier today :(
    This is a post so my other main issue post can get approved
    I joined the forum to highlight a potential consequence of a government announcement today (primarily about banning the sale of Halogen and Fluorescent bulbs) it states there will be a "ban from September on the sale of lighting fixtures with fixed bulbs that can’t be replaced" which I think will implicitly ban the sale of many (most?) new cars if headlamp units need to be replaced rather than individual bulbs.
    Anyone agree/disagree with my interpretation?
    Does the RAC want to publicise the implications?
    Have read and I will abide by the rules of this forum. wordle game
    Community Manager
    How do we get in touch with the forum moderator?
    I've just spotted this question. I'm answering it for the benefit of other community members who may be wondering the same thing.
    Get in touch via direct message 🙂
    Welcome to the RAC Community! Start here 😀
    You can say hi and introduce yourself too 👋
    What should you do after a collision? 🤔
    Got a question or want to start a discussion? Create a new post here. ✍
    Looking for info? Start with a new search. 🔍