Alarm Keeps Going Off

I have Googled a lot, and can't find anything about this so I'm hoping some hero on here knows what's going on. I don't really know anything about cars other than how to drive, and the people I've asked (few mates and my dad - hardly experts either) don't have a clue either.

So I bought a car back in January, and the first couple of weeks I had it everything was fine, then I got a black box installed and a few days later the alarm started going off, no reason whatsoever. Phoned RAC and they sent an 'update' due to it not being the latest software installed; bit silly but understandable. But that didn't fix the problem, so I phoned again and this time they sent a guy out who said something about it being too close to the battery, so he moved it and it was fine again... for a while. Then I thought maybe it was because I was double locking it, so I stopped doing that and it stopped again. Given time it started going off yet again, the only thing more annoying than hearing a car alarm going off at 3am is being the guy responsible for it. The weird thing is I've noticed it only happens when there is anything less than half a tank of petrol. Filled it a few days ago and it hasn't went off since.

So over to you... what is wrong with my car?!

- Peugot 206
    - 1.4L
  • 9 Replies

The black box is likely to be the problem.

Was it installed correctly?
    The black box is likely to be the problem.

Was it installed correctly?

I don't think it was at first. When they sent someone out to have a look at it he said it was installed too close to the battery so he moved it and it should be fine - but it wasn't. I'll need to phone them again though, still not sure why it only happens with less than half a tank of petrol lol.
    still not sure why it only happens with less than half a tank of petrol lol.

More likely a co-incidence
    More likely a co-incidence

I thought that as well but it does only seem to happen when it hits less than half. i.e. it's fine when I fill it, and for however long it takes for it to get to around half way, then the alarm goes every couple of hours until it's filled again.

Thinking it might be something to do with the weight? So rather than specifically being petrol it's how heavy the car/what's inside it is? Either way I'll need to phone RAC when it happens again lol.
    I may well be wrong, as I'm not up to speed with the car crime scene, but a 14-year-old Pug doesn't strike me as a prime target. Why not just disconnect the alarm?
    I may well be wrong, as I'm not up to speed with the car crime scene, but a 14-year-old Pug doesn't strike me as a prime target. Why not just disconnect the alarm?

I don't know about this car in particular but I believe some older cars are easier to steal than newer ones so sometimes can be a target for someone to steal and have a 'joyride' in.
    Hi,

Sorry to revive a dead thread but I was wondering if you had found a fix.

Same exact thing happened to my Renault Wind.
    Got a black box fitted and alarm went off just randomly. Mechanic guy had to come back and sort it out, he didn’t have a clue what was going on. After making some calls, he said it was something to do with it being an ‘old french car’. He fixed it and went on his way. Many weeks later it goes off again. I call him back and he tells me to disconnect the negative of the battery for five minutes and reconnect. Then reset the windows because they become all messed up. <- I hope that is relevant to someone having the same problem looking for a temporary fix…

I was just wondering if you found a permanent fix?

Last edited by AlexLondon; 01-01-22 at 00:17.
    Thank you for sharing such information i got my doubt cleared here.

My Balance Now
    Last edited by Runte; 29-12-21 at 04:43.