Hit and run advice

Hi I was driving down a main road when a vehicle pulls out from the side road and we collided my front end hitting the side of the third parties vehicle (T bone impact, the driver initially stopped but then drove off as soon as he thought the coast was clear.
    I had enough time to take pictures of the car damage, registration and driver I also have dashcam footage showing how the accident occurred which shows me driving along the main road, third Party pulls out me braking sliding/skidding into the side of his vehicle as he crosses into the path of my vehicle (road conditions wet/greasy) visibility clear but raining.
    The police attended at the time and all details/evidence given but as no serious injuries occurred they won't exactly rush it as the quicker the better so they can't repair the car. The third party vehicle is a new 16 plate and is a hire car from Hertz what would happen even though I have all the evidence and the driver failed to provide details and leave the scene of an accident how is the third party gonna play this anyone with experience with this situation as I feel I have enough evidence even if the hit and run driver decided to repair the vehicle and dispute any accident taking place will my case be strong enough with the evidence for the third party insurers to do something?
  • 15 Replies

The other driver was committing an offence by not stopping to exchange details. The police will probably pursue him for that.

As for the damage to your car, you should deal with your own insurance company and give them copies of your evidence - also anything you have from the police, like a crime number or the ID of the policemen.

It is possible that the car was stolen.
    If you know the car hire company name, you can contact them and tell them what happened. They won't give you the drivers details, home address, name, and so on, but they will provide them details to the police, when they ask.............. .............. ...............Then you get them details sent to your insurance company, that should speed things up, good luck.
    I'm only third party fire and theft so my insurance will be no good to claim from, currently have been put in touch their non fault company who requested the evidence first then where happy to take the case on as the evidence shows what happened , clear images of the car/damage/registration and have checked the car which is insured to Hertz who said are trying to get hold of the hire but so far have failed to do so, they can't do much yet as they need to speak to the hirer and see what they say, but I'm thinking the hirer is bluffing the calls as he may be buying time to repair vehicle but as its a 2016 vehicle with significant side damage if the insurance need to will they get the chance to inspect the vehicle should it come back repaired as I think they must be able to tell via paint work or parts change that it was repaired which will show the same area I have evidence for on impact??
    It would be almost impossible to do an undetectable repair. I sold my last car through we buy anycar and the guy who checked it spotted a minor repair that I wasn't aware of. Looked at in the right light from the right angle, I could see it, but I had carefully checked it before I bought it (nearly new), and I missed it.
    Bizarre. If you are hiring a car in this country it always includes an excess where you "only" have to pay a maximum of a few hundred pounds, maybe a thousand, if the car is damaged, even if it is totally written off. Even if you choose not to go for the total waiver, you still have this cover.

Damage like this would surely cost more than that to repair, so it's baffling why the driver would try and get out of it, when it will cost him more and possibly give him a criminal record.

If it was stolen you would expect the hirer to report this to Hertz and the police.
    I agree - same thought occurred to me. There is a possibility that the plates were stolen or cloned I suppose?
    It's a possibility but they initially stopped and the driver did state it was a hire car and it is definitely a brand new car so unlikely to be cloned/stolen as this would of been reported to the police by now, but I'll update when I hear anything
    Hi, still nothing back from third party I think they allow 21 days for them to acknowledge receipt of a claim??
    But from the guy at the depot I spoke to he did let slip that the car was reported stolen but the report was received after the accident took place??? Alarm bells!!
    If the car was reported stolen what would the third party insurers do as the car was driven by someone who apparently had 'stolen' it if they are caught or not caught by police? If that is the case where would that leave me would the hire company reject the claim on the grounds it was stolen ..etc I'm only third party so can't claim off my own insurance, how would this be dealt with?
    Stolen or not - the insurance still applies. It gives you a stronger case since no one is going to come up with a contradictory account of the collision.
    Thanks Santa, I wish someone did com forward with a different version of events as my dashcam shows exactly what happened, but I think that may be why they know they were at fault and thought that I had no details of the car but when they may have been contacted by the hire company may have panicked and reported it stolen.
    I was just worried thinking could the third party insurers say who ever stole/drove it was uninsured by them hence no claim can be brought against them leaving me with a damaged car
    As I said - even if it's stolen, the insurance remains effective.
    Just a quick update , finally got a payout from third party insurers no dispute over claim , great!
    Another good result, your dash-cam did a cracking job for you, I bet your well chuffed that you bought it, good luck.
    Great result - sometimes the truth Hertz but not in this case.