Yellow box junctions ?

On my drive home from work I come across a really annoying yellow box junction. I have to cross over it and there are cars coming from the left turning right or left on to the main road I'm on. When a space comes up at the other side for me to move across in to occasionally a car turning left from the junction cuts in and leaves me slightly in the yellow box the opposite side.

I worry that if a policeman was nearby i would get a ticket, and if this is my fault or not because technically I have right of way but in busy traffic people just don't care if it helps them out ?
  • 9 Replies

Too many drivers seem to work on the principle that laws are there to be broken. I do not enter a box until I can safely get clear of it on the opposite side, and I won't be bullied into entering the box to satisfy any impatient driver behind me. It can be frustrating, but staying legal is my priority.
    First thought is, you never have right of way.

The Highway Code, tells when to give way to others but never says anyone has right of way.

I think everyone has had similar experiences to you at yellow boxes, and I am afraid there is no simple, safe, answer, we just have to tolerate such behaviour.

I think the police tend to be very lax or tolerant, when it comes to yellow boxes.
    The law is clear:

Rule 174

Box junctions. These have criss-cross yellow lines painted on the road. You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear. However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right. At signalled roundabouts you MUST NOT enter the box unless you can cross over it completely without stopping.

That's from the Highway code which is not law, but the words "MUST NOT" indicate that there is law to back it up and prosecution can follow from disregarding it. If others commonly ignore the rule, you can be sure that the police will take action sooner or later.

I think the police tend to be very lax or tolerant, when it comes to yellow boxes.

The problem is that the local councils don't! In those areas where these offences have been "decriminalised" it's usually enforced by cameras, and some London bouroughs are notoriously strict.
    Aye! it's easy to find yourself "in stook" at these junctions, it just takes another car to pull a stunt, and leave you stuck in there?.................. ...............But the cameras they have covering them, can show what happened, and prove what happened, without them, you would be in trouble?
    Snowball: "I do not enter a box until I can safely get clear of it on the opposite side"

If only it were that black and white. Sometimes it is clear on the other side but then someone else cuts in from a side road, or a pedestrian runs out, or an emergency vehicle comes, and then you have to stop.

The problem is councils are aware of this and sometimes put hatched junctions in such places for purely financial reasons, as dozens of competent drivers are day are caught out through no fault of their own despite having checked that the opposite side is clear at the time they entered the box.

Just because the opposite side is clear when you enter the box, doesn't mean it will still be clear when you get to the other side.
    The problem is councils are aware of this and sometimes put hatched junctions in such places for purely financial reasons,

This is arrant nonsense. Can you provide any evidence?
    Look up the Moneybox Junction in Fulham.
    Look up the Moneybox Junction in Fulham.

The fact that many drivers get caught by what seems to be a badly designed junction, is not evidence of deliberate intent by the local council.