Who's a bike rider then? What do you ride?

So, who's a regular rider on here then?
    My 12 mile daily commuter ride is on my Honda SH300i scooter. Just right for tootling to work in in the congested Essex/East London rush hour traffic. My fairweather weekend bike and my once a year European tour bike is a Yamaha FJR1300. That does hop on a bit - 144 BHP with a 0-60 time of under 3 seconds!
    Any other bike riders on here?
  • 7 Replies

I used to be a biker, a life time ago now? I used to travel to work every day, including winter time, forty mole round trip, seven days a week!.... .................. ........I used to wrap my feet up in ASDA bags, to keep my boots dry, and wrap up like an Eskimo.....................Bing a subcontractor we had to do twelve hour shifts..........................Then after one long winter I had earned enough to buy a car,.......................The journey was a lot better after that!
    40+ years a rider current advanced riding examiner and instructor, someone worked it out a year or so ago that I have ridden close on 2 million miles as both a Police rider and civillian rider during my lifetime.

Anyway, current bike is a Honda Blackbird which I have had from new and is currently sitting in the garage with 120,000 miles on the clock. Hope to change to a new VFR1200 in the spring providing the Doctor gives me the all clear.
    My mate, a far more experienced biker than myself, test rode a VFR 1200 but found it too much of a sports bike for his liking (and too powerful for his needs - he was after a tourer and settled on a Trophy SE). He did say though that the engine on the Honda was absolutely awesome.
    My Dad used to have a Vincent Rapide 1000cc, and we had a lodger who owned a Triumph 650cc, he actually went around the world on that, it took him four years........... ......................When he got back to the UK, his tyres were down to the canvas? So he want to the Dunlop HQ, they gave him free tyres for the rights to his story. His story was the centre spread in the Motor Cycle magazine.............. ...............They even published some of the photos that he took in his trip......................A year after he got back, he bought a Vincent Black Shadow, ..............I used to have a photo of the two bikes together, but my ex wife kept, just for spite?
    Because of a knackered back a straight tourer is no good for me, apart from which I am on my 3rd Blackbird and given that it is no longer built, the choice for my replacement was either the VFR1200 or the ZZR1400. The 1200 riding position suited me better and it is a shafty of course.

I did much of the development work on the ST1100 when it first came into Police use, and although a very competent bike, not something I would want to ride day in day out in my own time or when examining or instructing.
    Just like Motman i ride a 2014 Yamaha FJR in my lifetime riding bikes i have had a FS1E at 16 a load of trail bikes through to naked sports bikes and a custom built chopper from the states but the wife told me my custom Yamaha Wildstar 1600 was to old and noisey and told me to buy the FJR,who am i to argue .
    Now getting ready for our 3rd visit to IOM TT
    We've just done all the bookings for this years trip. We are leaving on Friday 8th July. Four of us. Me on my FJR, Steve on a Triumph Trophy, Rick on a Triumph speed triple and Paul on a Ducati Multistrada. First stop Nancy in France, then spending the next 3 days riding round the mountain roads, stopping another night in France, one in Italy, then one in Switzerland then meeting up with our wives who are flying out and staying for 3 nights in the Cannero riviera on lake Maggiore in Italy. We'll be celebrating my wife's birthday on the Thursday then leaving next day mid-afternoon and having a one night stopover somewhere in France on our blast to Calais, arriving home on Saturday 16th. The roads in France and Italy are just fantastic for bikers. Can't wait!!