Renault Clio 1.2 accelerator problem

Hello,

I have recently got my first car, a 2001 renault clio1.2 dynamique. So far it has given me a fair amount of grief. This sunday I had my car washed, and a few hours later whilst driving on the motorway, I had the electrical light come on and felt the car cough/jerk even with the accelerator pedal fully down. Yesterday I had a massive moment with the car misfiring/jerking when changing gears from 2nd to 3rd and the revs going up to 3500rpm and the car not moving when the pedal was down. Just a few hours ago I was at a junction and when trying to even slightly press the accelerator pedal, the car just stalls. I then had to start the car with the accelerator pedal down after a few attempts.

I have had slight problems with the accelerator/juddering problem before and had the ECU, throttle body and spark plugs replaced at a cost and whilst getting the car checked and I am getting frustrated with this issue.

Any guidance would be much appreciated
  • 12 Replies

Renault + water + freezing tempratures = oh dear...

Here is what to do:

Get a tube of Silicone Grease, RAC part number is SG1000 available through Unipart / Partco branches, should be less than a tenner.

1. Disconnect battery from positive + side, momentarily hold the + lead to earth to diffuse and lose all stored adaptive / learnt data

2. Disconnect the plug / loom from the pedal TPS (sensor on accelerator pedal) and the plug / loom to the throttle body

3. Plaster the pins in the plugs with the SG1000, don't be shy, the more the merrier.... this helps perfect contact and keeps out water.

4. Reconnect plugs.

5. Reconnect battery

6. Start car *DO NOT TOUCH ANY PEDALS AS IT WILL SPOIL BASE IDLE SETTINGS* just keep spinning the engine until it starts, it may be rough & lumpy but that is normal, it will sort itself out.

7. Leave car ticking over until it gets to normal running temp. then jump in and go for a minimum 12 mile drive (1 drive cycle) making the journey varid, islands, fast slow etc.

8. After 12 miles pull over safely and switch off ignition fully but do not remove key. Wait 10 seconds (data storing) then start car again and go on with you journey

9. Should be fine now.

Regards

Lloyd
    Or fit the modified wiring loom.
    Renault + water + freezing tempratures = oh dear...

Here is what to do:

Get a tube of Silicone Grease, RAC part number is SG1000 available through Unipart / Partco branches, should be less than a tenner.

1. Disconnect battery from positive + side, momentarily hold the + lead to earth to diffuse and lose all stored adaptive / learnt data

2. Disconnect the plug / loom from the pedal TPS (sensor on accelerator pedal) and the plug / loom to the throttle body

3. Plaster the pins in the plugs with the SG1000, don't be shy, the more the merrier.... this helps perfect contact and keeps out water.

4. Reconnect plugs.

5. Reconnect battery

6. Start car *DO NOT TOUCH ANY PEDALS AS IT WILL SPOIL BASE IDLE SETTINGS* just keep spinning the engine until it starts, it may be rough & lumpy but that is normal, it will sort itself out.

7. Leave car ticking over until it gets to normal running temp. then jump in and go for a minimum 12 mile drive (1 drive cycle) making the journey varid, islands, fast slow etc.

8. After 12 miles pull over safely and switch off ignition fully but do not remove key. Wait 10 seconds (data storing) then start car again and go on with you journey

9. Should be fine now.

Regards

Lloyd

Many thanks for the reply.

I will get the silicone grease now, however where are the locations of the plug / loom on the pedal and throttle body?
    I have uploaded the photos of the pedal and what I think is the throttle body. Are the highlighted rings in red the cables I need to remove?

Accelerator pedal
    http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/9...ratorpedal.jpg

Throttle Body Area
    http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/2...ebodycable.jpg
    Pedal pic is bang on and I think the TB is right but not easy to tell from pic... maybe Danno or Hometune will verify as their noses are under bonnets more than mine. (Im office bound :( )
    Throttle Body Area. You have highlighted one plug but underneath the steel box is another. I bet you will find that when you remove the steel box that some of the wiring has been rubbed through. It may be just a small bit of wire that is uncovered but it will be shorting to earth. Even repairing this damage with insulating tape often does not cure the problem.
    By all means follow the advice given by Techiloyd and I hope it works for you. However, if you search the forum, you will find one of the biggest threads on here concerns this problem on 1.2 Clios. The most common fault code is throttle pedal but in most cases this is not the problem.
    Renault had issues with poor pin contact in the connectors in the engine wiring loom and a replacement is around £120+vat + a good hour's labour to fit. This replacement has been modified and I have not heard of any problems after it has been fitted.
    I too, used to clean and lubricate the connectors for customers who were hard up and most only lasted as a temporary repair.
    The red rings are the places Techiloyd has suggested you apply the grease.
    Thanks very much for the advice, I will try Techiloyd suggestion and will give an update in a few days.
    Yes please because if it works for you, it may help others. Cheers
    Just an update here,

I have applied grease bought from my local unipart and applied the grease to the accelerator loom, however I am having serious difficulty removing the top part of this black box. I have applied WD40 to ease it up somehow but I do not want to damage the highlighted cable which looks like it has been chafed as mention by Hometune.

Blackbox/ Chafed cable
    http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7096/blackbox1.jpg

I have tried taking out all the cable connectors from the loom and reconnected it and followed Techiloyd procedure. It worked for a while but the light came on yesterday. I have noticed when I start the engine, due to the vibration, this cable seems to be loose. If I apply pressure there, the engine light goes off on the dashboard and it seems to be fine.

Loose Cable
    http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4503/blackbox2.jpg

Regards
    I have noticed when I start the engine, due to the vibration, this cable seems to be loose. If I apply pressure there, the engine light goes off on the dashboard and it seems to be fine.

Loose Cable
    http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4503/blackbox2.jpg

Regards

The item you have highlighted is the MAP sensor. This is where the wiring in the connector is usually the fault and why the modified loom was released by Renault. If you can somehow repair/bodge this part of the wiring then you will likely repair the fault.

If there is damaged wiring this MUST be repaired or replaced. or the fault will come back.
    Hi,

I have been having problems with my sons 2003 1.2 Clio 16 valve and it appears to be worse after it has been raining.
    Check for moisture in the left side ecu plug when looking at the car from the front. If for some reason the cover has been removed this allows water to drop onto the ecu plugs as the ecu almost lines up with the end of the bonnet allowing water to drip directly onto the plugs.
    Another place to check for corrossion is as the white muilti pin connector which is situated next to the battery under a plastic cover which houses the fuses, this connecter gets damp and can corrode the terminals.
    Purchase a good terninal cleaner spray maybe from an elelctronics outlet and give these terminals a good clean (WD isn't always the best to use)
    If you do find dampness in the ecu connector I can only suggest cleaning and drying and then try to make a plastic cover to keep the rain out
    I appreciate this is an old link but i have similar issues, and wondered if anyone could help

I have (daughter) a clio 2009 1.2 which starts and drive very nicely, except anything between 4 and 20 starts the ignition warning light comes on and the engine runs rough and isnt driveable.

I have done multiple things including following this link, but there is a minor difference in my case.
    The fault code DF079 Motorised throttle oscillation fault, and DF046 battery voltage abnormal. The battery is new, some time back i had a fault with the small fuse/relay box on the right hand side which was replaced. I have tried another throttle body and checked all the wiring around the pedal for wire rubbing etc and is untouched, but the pedal has not been changed. If i clear the faults the engine runs fine until the next time

One significant element - when the fault comes on it is when the ignition is turned before the engine is even started. All the warning lights come on and then all go out except for the ignition warning, the only way to clear the only 2 faults is with a code reader.

Any suggestions