Welcome to the RAC Community

Your place to talk cars, driving, latest EVs, news and views, and anything motoring related!

members
    users online
    total posts
  1. 42,168 Posts
    12-06-24
  2. 272 Posts
    Yesterday
  3. 2,256 Posts
    08-06-24
  4. General Driving Discussions

Conversations about driving, gadgets, travel, breakdowns and safety
    Latest post: First time you drove by
    45,659 Posts
    Yesterday
  5. 12,480 Posts
    13-06-24
  6. 9,490 Posts
    Yesterday
  7. 717 Posts
    03-06-24
  • Vehicle privacy (electric)
    Hi B, I hope it's your personal phone, as I won't have mine on, or connected to the vehicle. I was told that the vehicles have their own SIM, which... see more
    Hi N, I've saved the interesting link for later, thanks. I understand a bit about transmitters, and wrapping in a shield. Also I'm sure I could... see more
    Hi S, I agree with most of what you say, but I try in various ways to limit it as much as possible, this is why I want to disable as much as I can... see more
  • Assets/care home fees and inheritance
    The information I have garnered is that private care homes can be good, but the corporate-owned chains are a nightmare. A friend's mother went into... see more
  • First time you drove
    Myself and two friends pooled our pocket money and bought a Triumph Mayflower. It drove, but was a complete rust-bucket. We were 7 and 8. see more
  • Variable speed signs and fines on the M6
    No, it was usual Hertfordshire nonsense. The land of 'No Road Markings' and 'New Road Layout Ahead' when nothing has changed in regard to the latter. see more
    Was that for roadworkd? If so, an NSL sign is not needed. The End of Roadworks sign means "End of road works and any temporary restrictions... see more
    FWIW: J6 on the M1 Southbound had a 30mph speed limit round Brickett Wood, and no NSL signage entering the slip road. So effectively the speed limit... see more
  • Assets/care home fees and inheritance
    @Drivingforfun hello, ​​​​​​​If you were to go into a care home and had to sell your home to pay for it, giving away your assets to avoid paying... see more
  • Servicing stop is a scam!!!!!!!!!
    You know what they say... I was also drawn in by the promise of a reasonably priced service and a door-to-door service. I'm not stupid and I read... see more
  • Servicing stop is a scam!!!!!!!!!
    @dejavu594 similar experience especially tyres. see more
    So, is the data sent from the phone, or from the (alleged) hidden transmitter? If it's the former, then it must be using up the owner's data... see more
    Step one is to disable the Bluetooth from your phone. Strange but if you connect to the Bluetooth that's in the car via your phone it immediately... see more
  • Insurance advice. Damage own car
    @Fellowscot ​​​​​​​I'm sorry things are tough at the moment, but I'm glad that the community has been able to help. Please do come back and let us... see more
  • Insurance advice. Damage own car
    Hello. Thank you, to others that have taken the time to read and reply to my posts. The bollards is ours. Installed by us. So yes. I have... see more
  • Euro 2024
    Tomorrow, Euro 2024 kicks off an action packed summer of sport. England and Scotland are representing the home nations, with Steve Clarke's team... see more
    I think that this is a fact of modern life. It's not only electric cars that collect data, all modern cars do it. Almost everything we do these... see more
  • Replaceable batteries
    Hi, I saw a system where the company had battery changing stations, where the vehicle is driven in and the battery is changed automatically, but it... see more
  • My first experience with an EV
    Hi D, Even a Hydrogen vehicle will be E.V., just not battery for energy C see more
    Hi, I would like to be a private person as much as I can, but hear that newer vehicles send DATA back to their manufacturers, and I would like to... see more
    Hi Dondon1, Welcome to the Community! Just to let you know, your posts won't need to be approved moving forward. see more
    You can’t really have a discussion on this forum because somebody has to approve your question and every response that seems pointless really a bit... see more
    I agree but I was the only car over a long stretch of motorway before the national speed limit was shown approx 10 minutes which for me is ridiculous... see more
    You must continue at the lower speed until you pass a National Speed Limit sign see more
  • Jordans Garage Godalming
    @cravenh i would not take the advice of people you don’t know and use a company you have previously used that have done a good job I always use my... see more
    Yes got a speeding ticket m6 same scenario again last night which I had to reduce to 40 from national speed limit then blank gantry for around 10m it... see more
    @Dondon1A blank sign is meaningless, so legally the indicated limit still applies. ​​​​​​​Has this happened to you, or is this a hypothetical... see more
    When a motorway speed sign is reduced from national speed limit for example to 60,50 or 40 and then on the next set of signs they are blank and the... see more
  • Police officer's word as evidence
    I don't know for sure, but i always guessed that a judge/jury give the uniform and training extra weight compared to joe public. Eye witness... see more