Welcome to the RAC Community

Your place to talk cars, driving, latest EVs, news and views, and anything motoring related!

members
    users online
    total posts
  1. 42,190 Posts
    20-02-24
  2. 219 Posts
    15-02-24
  3. 2,227 Posts
    17-02-24
  4. General Driving Discussions

Conversations about driving, gadgets, travel, breakdowns and safety
    Latest post: Emissions and car tax by
    48,534 Posts
    Today
  5. 12,398 Posts
    Today
  6. 258 Posts
    20-02-24
  7. 10,863 Posts
    Today
  8. 886 Posts
    Today
  • Emissions and car tax
    It's a bit late to ask. Any relationship between taxes on motorists and related expenditure was abolished in 1926! ​​​​​​​You might as well ask... see more
  • Emissions and car tax
    But what should be asked is; why does the motorist 'contribute' 10% of the UK's taxes, but only 5% of all taxes is being used for transportation or... see more
  • F1: 2024 season
    The 2024 season officially starts next week (2nd March), but pre-season testing is underway and the pit lane is once again talking about the... see more
  • Help needed: Which image do you prefer?
    I think B. More 'out there' than A. see more
    I agree with Drivingforfun> But why do you say "we can only choose one"?. What's to stop you running some trials? see more
  • Insurance mileage
    FWIW: I always quote for 5000 miles. All the companies I have used have told me I can 'buy' more mileage at the rate of £10 per 1000miles. Worth... see more
  • Are you up to date with the Highway Code?
    I think the Highway Code is the most amended government document of all time. It has gone from little more than a pamphlet to a tome and bact to a... see more
  • Emissions and car tax
    We have been paying VAT on Fuel Duty for nearly 50 years as far as I know. So a tax on tax is nothing new. see more
    I think B would be more effective but that's not based on any academic knowledge, it just looks more simple and obvious! see more
  • Roundabout Laws - have they changed?
    I can assure the poster that my car has never behaved any of those ways. The driver, on the other hand ... see more
  • Roundabout Laws - have they changed?
    Today, cars and trucks behave in an overbearing, extravagant and unruly manner. Don't know what the reason is. Hopefully the law will be stronger... see more
  • Emissions and car tax
    No, life isn't fair, but as long as you accept the golden rule, that is, those with the gold make the rules, you'll be fine. 😄 see more
  • Emissions and car tax
    One of the good things about a democracy is that we CAN indeed question what the government do. And if we don't like it, we can vote for someone else... see more
  • Emissions and car tax
    it would have been more acceptable to have the 20mph limit in the correct areas not city wide see more
  • Emissions and car tax
    The changes in Wales aside, I would imagine that (potential) injuries/fatalities (outside schools or, in residential areas) trumps emissions. see more
  • Emissions and car tax
    Do you accept anything the gov do without question . You are a dream citizen .. see more
  • Emissions and car tax
    How can taxing tax be legal in anybody's world see more
  • Emissions and car tax
    Fair? - Life's not fair. Get used to it. Legal? - Legal is whatever parliament decides is legal. Which they have. see more
    I'm looking for your help. 🙏 We're creating some images to help direct people to our community and have great conversations about all things... see more
  • Emissions and car tax
    I can understand the "envy tax" on so-called "luxury" cars but what bugs me personally is how they don't increase the £40,000 limit in line with... see more
  • Emissions and car tax
    ​​​​​​​Hi, There are a couple of things that bug me re cars and current legislation. Have you approached the Gov about the disgusting road tax... see more
  • Humour
    Ha ha....😃 see more
  • Humour
    Truck drivers usually have to complete a check sheet to report any faults they find so that they can be rectified. Mechanics have been known to make... see more
  • Insurance mileage
    Many thanks guys! ​​​​​​​Badenoch see more
  • RAC Mobile Mechanics
    According to this article, 40% of the UK now works from home at least some of the week. "The RAC has now recruited more than 150 mobile mechanics... see more
  • Insurance mileage
    Recently when renewing, I also increased my mileage a few thousand per year, and it had a small impact on the quote. ​​​​​​​ I guess that the more... see more