Welcome to the RAC Community

Your place to talk cars, driving, latest EVs, news and views, and anything motoring related!

members
    users online
    total posts
  1. 42,268 Posts
    Yesterday
  2. 240 Posts
    20-03-24
  3. 2,245 Posts
    Today
  4. General Driving Discussions

Conversations about driving, gadgets, travel, breakdowns and safety
    Latest post: Why wouldn't this work? by
    48,699 Posts
    Today
  5. 12,526 Posts
    Today
  6. 285 Posts
    Today
  7. 10,925 Posts
    Today
  8. 904 Posts
    16-04-24
  • Anyone started their garden yet?
    Just finished with the rototiller and laying in the drip tape. Got a greenhouse full of peppers tomatoes and marijuana that I need to get into the... see more
  • Why wouldn't this work?
    I once read that a manual transmission is close to 100% efficient some of the time while an auto is 90% efficient all of the time. Like all things... see more
  • Illegally parked car
    @NMNeiltold him I was going through the insurance, haven't heard from him since. Surprise surprise. see more
  • Automatic & Manual licence
    There is a proposal but it only goes part-way towards scrapping the distinction: It's worth mentioning that there has never been a distinction... see more
    @Drivingforfun The designers choose a set of ratios to match the power/torque of the engine and a combination of attributes like acceleration,... see more
    The current trends are towards EVs and to automatic boxes on ICE cars. I doubt whether further development of the manual box would be on anyone's... see more
    I’ve noticed the gears in my car, along with most other cars I’ve driven, are rather close together, if that’s the correct term. You can drive in... see more
  • Unionization
    Voting for the union may come back to bite them. After the workers at Ford went on strike VW say it coming.... see more
  • Unionization
    Early mini's had a cheap steel instead of braided copper ground cable from the engine to the body. Being steel it corroded and broke so the next best... see more
  • North Coast 500 . . .
    Must admit I'd never heard of it, but having checked out the website, I may well go for it. I will, however, wait for the warmer weather as I know... see more
  • merging onto single carriageway
    Please refer to the following locstion: https://maps.app.goo.gl/nMjiQht9LNNmpp537?g_st=ic When you are merging onto the following single... see more
  • registration help
    I started from here and was only asked to register as a new member.... see more
  • Bad driving instructor
    After a while, you will find yourself looking at those things you mention, and taking them in with a glance. Unfortunately, I think roadcraft comes... see more
  • Mot recovery
    Can anyone answer. if I breakdown going to an mot appointment, will the RAC recover me without a mot certificate? see more
  • Unionization
    A bike shop I worked at in the 70s was a BL, then Austin Rover dealership as well as motorcycles. I don't remember all the horror stories about... see more
  • Unionization
    @Rolebama And one of the factors is that British cars of the time were crap, and I know I worked for an Austin dealership, which gave us the Austin... see more
  • Using a reversing camera on a test?
    It's a thread bump, but this is something I have thought a lot about recently. In my 2009 Ford Focus it has a built in reversing camera hard wired to... see more
  • Automatic & Manual licence
    It's something that I have heard a lot about recently and something I'm sure must have come up one here previously. Has anyone heard if there are... see more
  • Bad driving instructor
    I already have found and booked a different instructor, it's a frustrating place to be in. I actually went for an intensive set of lessons, it is... see more
  • registration help
    Hello I was an RAC member about 6 years ago. I drove a company car in the time after and was on a company policy. I now have my own car and wanted... see more
  • Unionization
    Morgan Motor Company Limited is a British motor car manufacturer owned by Italian investment group Investindustrial. ​​​​​​​Everything is... see more
  • Unionization
    The British car industry was seriously undermined by a lot of factors at the time. Unions, Government, and foreign manufacturers undercutting prices... see more
  • RAC car service
    Check out brake fluid testers. I have changed my brake fluid twice in the last four years because of water content exceeding 4%. Brake fluid does... see more
  • Me again! MOT questions 🥹
    From anecdotal evidence from friends with Fiestas and friends in the motor trade, the average cost of a service local to me is between £250 - 300. A... see more
  • Bad driving instructor
    Agree 100% with Beelzebub. Find another instructor asap. see more
  • Bad driving instructor
    @jamaukYou're clearly not happy with your instructor, so find another! see more
  • Bad driving instructor
    I am having to resit my test after a 2 year disqualification due to an unidentified medical condition that caused a serious accident. It is thought... see more
  • Unionization
    Does that matter? They make a huge contribution to the economy, whoever owns them. Of the volume manufacturers of the 60s and 70s, only two... see more
  • Unionization
    @Beelzebub But only Morgan is British owned with the cars still made in England, all the others are foreign owned. see more
  • Unionization
    Unions were a good thing back in the day when employers would treat the workers little better than slaves, but with the legislation that's been put... see more