Welcome to the RAC Community

Your place to talk cars, driving, latest EVs, news and views, and anything motoring related!

members
    users online
    total posts
  1. 42,216 Posts
    Yesterday
  2. 315 Posts
    22-07-24
  3. 2,275 Posts
    15-07-24
  4. General Driving Discussions

Conversations about driving, gadgets, travel, breakdowns and safety
    Latest post: Is autonomy over-hyped? by
    43,860 Posts
    Today
  5. 12,446 Posts
    Yesterday
  6. 9,560 Posts
    Today
  7. 728 Posts
    15-07-24
  • Speed limiters in July
    So the human brain isn't up to the task? 😉 see more
  • Is autonomy over-hyped?
    Closer than you might think. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a43126498/ford-patent-autonomous-systems-vehicle-repossession/ see more
  • Speed limiters in July
    As my car has spent so much time idle over the last weeks, I decided to take it for a drive last night, around midnight when the roads would be... see more
  • Is autonomy over-hyped?
    I was going to put this in the Humour thread, but decided it was maybe a little too near reality to be funny. see more
  • Humour
    I'm waiting for a mobile tyre fitter I've just had an email updating me, apparently he's been dispatched The last customer may well have been... see more
  • Random thought experiment
    It would seem that the insurers are not in the least interested in spending any time or money looking into anything. The only times I have heard of... see more
  • Wrong colours for cars
    I think orange Aston Martins are a bold style statement. The worst automobile colors are essentially a matter of preference & It may be argued that... see more
    I don't know if any research has been conducted on the issue, but I don't think it will make much difference. Have an accident where the camera... see more
  • Peugeot 3008 - rear view mirror now blue
    @XamSquishy The mirror is self dimming which means that at night it's just a plain mirror, during the day it dims depending on ambient light. The... see more
    I have reviewed many a dash cam footage over the years and the honest answer is that drivers behave no better with a dash cam than they do without. ... see more
    I was wondering if owning a dash cam could make the dash cam owner a better driver In addition to the benefits of proving liability, would those... see more
  • Peugeot 3008 - rear view mirror now blue
    I borrowed my mums car recently, and noticed that the rear view mirror had a blue tinge all of a sudden…. It wasn’t like that the night before. I’ve... see more
  • Liability in a minor crash
    I know this doesn't help the OP now, but a dashcam is a godsend in these situations. see more
    The other driver will probably try to blame your partner, and it's up to the insurance companies to resolve. All you can do is to make sure that your... see more
    My partner who's a named driver was driving my car down a road that has cars parked either side.. he pulled over into a gap and was completely... see more
  • EV calculations
    I think your math is right. Most of my rc aircraft use 3.5Ah batteries powering 20Ah motors, and although they are not running flat out, around ten... see more
  • Choice of EV's
    (IMO) Kia were a disruptor in the motoring industry. They were the first car company that I remember to offer a 7-year warranty's as standard, and... see more
  • Choice of EV's
    @Mark07 I'm finding the transition to EVs quite interesting in the sense that it seems to be causing a kind of "reset" of which brands are... see more
  • Choice of EV's
    I don't know too much about BYD, but I saw they sponsored the Euro's during the summer. Supposedly, the German motoring industry weren't thrilled... see more
  • First drive on your own
    I forget where I was going, I think it was to the shops, but the feeling is as vivid as ever. Even though I knew where I was going, without... see more
  • EV calculations
    That's all true Mark and I tried to make that clear in my original post, I'm aware some evangelists will automatically see any curious questioning as... see more
  • EV calculations
    I've heard stories where you put your foot down in high performance/thirsty petrol cars and can actually see the petrol guage go down. We're still... see more
  • EV calculations
    I’m aware of how various range figures and things are calculated with EVs based on their kilowatt hours but wondered something else which I don’t see... see more
  • Rant Time
    My internet connection went down. Called customer service and it went like this; CS "You can e-mail technical support" Me "I have no internet... see more
  • Problems with Audi A7 3.0 2011
    As it's an Audi the best solution would be to remove the radiator cap and lift it into the air about 3 feet. Remove the Audi and replace it with... see more
  • Was I unreasonable here??
    The problem we have at the moment is that the public have very quickly latched onto the new elements put int the most recent addition of the Highway... see more
  • Choice of EV's
    As for personal data I have an extension that shows me which sites have requested to track me (a tracker tracker?) and often the sites which you may... see more
  • Choice of EV's
    I'd never really considered BYD, I always just lumped it in as like Ssangyong i.e. cheap cars for people who don't really care, but I seem to be... see more
  • Choice of EV's
    Tesla have been the victim of more than their share of conspiracy theories, probably because of Musk's divisive personality and behaviour. As for... see more
  • Choice of EV's
    I have heard too many negatives about Teslas.Questions about who actually 'owns' it when you've bought it, and built in failures of some components.... see more