Mot ?

Hi

I am hoping that someone can help. I was thinking of buying a 2010 Corsa 1.2 XSi I managed to negotiate the price (which I thought was good to start with) down from £2,495 to £2,150 ... however when I checked out the history I found on the last MOT which runs out on the 3rd July this year that it stated under mileage .. Unreadable I asked the bloke what it meant (there were no advisories) he came back with I have no idea let me take a look ... then messaged me with a fact sheet with mileage on it ! I then sent his a pic from the DVLA .. he then came back with I can put it through another MOT for the full asking price !!I didn't think a MOT cost £345 ! I know it would use his time but back to full price ... am I reading too much into this ..should I just walk away .. is it safe to buy ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
  • 5 Replies

Sometimes with digital odometers, you cannot see the mileage easily if the backlight bulb has blown in which case you have the option to mark it as unreadable. If you go back with a small torch, you can sometimes get it in the right position to see the mileage. Personally though, if I had any doubts about the seller and you obviously have, I’d walk away. Unless it’s a particularly rare car, there’ll be others. Buy in haste, repent at your leisure!
    That is what I read that it could have been the backlight bulb ... however like I said he just came back with I can put it through another MOT for the full asking price ! where as I would have said that it was the backlight bulb .. which i would think would not be expensive ... and lol no its not a rare car ... thanks for the advice
    The electronic mileage indicators can be clocked and many unscrupulous people on PCP car purchases are doing this to get out of paying for over agreed mileages. Rogue garages are doing it also to get more for the car. Walk away. If you want a Corsa get one from the Vauxhall dealer and pay that bit extra.
    But this is showing no mileage so you can’t really say it’s been clocked.
    The electronic mileage indicators can be clocked and many unscrupulous people on PCP car purchases are doing this to get out of paying for over agreed mileages. Rogue garages are doing it also to get more for the car. Walk away. If you want a Corsa get one from the Vauxhall dealer and pay that bit extra.

The OP is looking at 8-year-old cars in the £2,500 range. I don't think you'll find those at a Vauxhall dealer.