Ford Mondeo Gearbox problems

I bought a 2000 Ford mondeo from a main dealer last April, gearbox synchromesh on first and third gears had to be renewed within 3 month warranty period. In November first gear synchromesh had to be again replaced. Now 10 weeks on from the last repair, first gear is difficult to engage and I fear the problem is reoccurring.
    I am told there is no mechanical reason for these faults and that my driving is the problem! (I have been driving for 25 years having had no such problems previously)
    Has anyone any ideas as to what could be going on?
  • 4 Replies

I think I have a similar problem with my mondeo except the problem is selecting second gear. The car has covered what seems to be a genuine 50,000 miles and is about 2 years 9 months old. When the car has warmed up the gearbox seems to change gear quite happily (although going into second gear feels a bit notchy sometimes). However when the car is cold and on a cold morning i.e. less than 4 deg C going from first to second is almost impossible. It's so embarrassing when you pull away at traffic lights only to slow down and stop because you can't get the thing into second gear. As the car is still under Fords extended warranty I have taken it to them for repair. As the weather is so mild they have not been able to reproduce the "stiff to select second gear" and say there is nothing they can do.
    Sorry this does not help you bertevens but surley someone must know what could be going on with these gearboxes?
    Hi,
    I purchased a 2007 mondeo in April this year 2009. The 2nd gear seemed a bit stiff but I thiught this may be me as I have been driving an auto for the last 15years.
    Eventually I took it back to the dealer in Oct 2009, they checked it and said the the rubber on the gear change boot was fouling the mechanism, however it was still a bit stiff.
    They also inform me that a couple of years ago, Ford would have replaced the gearbox. Now, they require all many of checks to be carried out and if that don't cure it the likelyhood is that I will have to pay for the repair myself although it still has 6 month manufactures warrenty plus I purchased a further 2 years warrenty.
    Hope someone from Ford see's this and can explain to me why I have to pay for faulty materials.
    OR, is someone having me over?
    A simple test to prove if it is a gearbox fault or not is this.
    When you know a gear is going to be stiff - say first thing in the morning - double de-clutch. If the gear selects easily (which it probably will do) then the fault is with the synchro hubs in the gearbox or worn bearings or misaligned gears.
    Mondeo gearbox problem - 2nd gear

I think I have a similar problem with my mondeo except the problem is selecting second gear. The car has covered what seems to be a genuine 50,000 miles and is about 2 years 9 months old. When the car has warmed up the gearbox seems to change gear quite happily (although going into second gear feels a bit notchy sometimes). However when the car is cold and on a cold morning i.e. less than 4 deg C going from first to second is almost impossible. It's so embarrassing when you pull away at traffic lights only to slow down and stop because you can't get the thing into second gear. As the car is still under Fords extended warranty I have taken it to them for repair. As the weather is so mild they have not been able to reproduce the "stiff to select second gear" and say there is nothing they can do.
    Sorry this does not help you bertevens but surley someone must know what could be going on with these gearboxes?

Omegaman. I appreciate it is some time ago that you posted your comments but I have identical problems with an R reg 1.8 Mondeo with 48K on the clock .Did you ever manage to find out what the solution to your problem was? Regards