focus heater problem

I have a ford focus 1.6 on a 52 plate and my heater now only works when the dial is on 4 (maximum setting) when i have it on 1,2 or 3 nothing comes out, it was working the previous evening and then when i put it on in the morning this problem appeared. any ideas?
  • 22 Replies

This is so handy. The exact same just happened on mine and I logged on here to ask for advice!

I'm sure I read somewhere that it's some sort of resistor pack...or something. Could really do with it sorting though as it's getting annoying having the heaters on full blast all the time!

Sorry to sort of hijack your thread dmw - hopefully someone will be along soon to help us!

Thanks,

Adam
    Focus Heater

This exact same problem has happened to my focus in the last couple of days, heater goes on in the 4 position but not 1,2, and 3.
    It will be good to see someone come up with a solution although i've been told it could be the resister. I've had a look for this but couldn't find it so if anyone knows where it is and can let me know where it is that would be good.
    tia junior
    Right - I've had a bit of an interesting day.

I did a bit of research and found a Mondeo website describing the resistor pack as a white piece of plastic bolted to the bulkhead of the car behind the glovebox. After much swearing and hitting things, I found it. I took the glovebox off by it's hinges (three screws) and the cover behind that that covers the footwell vents (stupid plastic screws that needed to be forced off whilst trying to unscrew them) and then if you peer through what would have been your glovebox, to the right of that big black...bin type thing which I think is a major part of the heater, you can just about see it. It's a white rectangular looking thing, fixed in vertically, with a multi-plug connector plugged into it. It was a nightmare trying to unscrew it's only screw but I managed it and took it out, went to Ford and they were closed!

So I'll have to go on Monday. I definitely think it's that - my only concern is that it doesn't look blown (i.e. melted). If you hang fire until Monday, I'll be the guinea pig and let you know if the new one I'm going to buy fixes the problem.

If anyone thinks I'm barking up the wrong tree, please stop me by Monday!

Cheers,

Adam
    Hi
    From what u have described it sounds like u are correct. The fan resistor is normally the cause of your concern.
    Anyone any ideas on this problem yet?
    BUMP
    Take it it was'nt the resister that was wrong with adski
    Sorry it's taken me a while to reply. I couldn't get the part until yesterday.

Well, I opened the box, one shiny new resistor pack. Felt really quite confident that this was going to fix it seeing as it being plugged in or not made no difference to the actual working of the heaters but then, imagine my surprise when after deftly installing it (it gets easier the more times you actually do it), I put the heater to setting number one and.......yep - you guessed it.

Nothing whatsoever.

I'm not saying that this isn't the answer to your problems but it certainly wasn't to mine. I'm now asking myself if I really want to bother taking more of the dash apart to fix it and buying God knows what other useless bits of kit from Ford. I think there are three resistors. Maybe I got the wrong one.

Incidentally, I'd read on the net that the new parts were black. Mine wasn't. It looked identical to the one it replaced.
    I got a new resistor today and fit it and every setting working fine now. The resistor i took off was blue and new one black.
    junior
    Clarification needed before purchase!

I got a new resistor today and fit it and every setting working fine now. The resistor i took off was blue and new one black.
    junior

Hey junior,

Guess what, same happened to me & I'd just like to clarify one thing.
    You say you took off the blue resistor and installed the new black one, does the black one replace the blue one or was the blue one a red herring.

Hope you understand.
    I took the blue one off and replaced it with a black one.
    junior
    I have a ford focus 1.6 on a 52 plate and my heater now only works when the dial is on 4 (maximum setting) when i have it on 1,2 or 3 nothing comes out, it was working the previous evening and then when i put it on in the morning this problem appeared. any ideas?

Thank you everyone got myself a resistor pack and then got my boyfriend to fit it (Im a girl what do i know about cars) and hey presto i now have a working heater.thank you everyone who posted help.
    I took the blue one off and replaced it with a black one.
    junior

Cheers junior
    Thanks everyone, I have exactly the same problem with my W plate focus. The aircon also doesn't work on setting 4 since this started. I will try and get the part and fit it later.
    I have the same problem on a 53 plate focus 1.8 LX. Checked behind the glover compartment but that has the main fuse box - can't see a blue (or black) resistor pack. Any ideas where I need to be looking?
    The resister pack on the right hand side of the hole behind the glove box. From left to right you may have the fuse box, blower motor and then the resister pack, almost next to the central console area. hope this helps.
    junior
    Hey- do you happen to have a part number for the heater resistor you used? I need to make the same fix but don't know which resistor to get.

Thanks,
    s
    resistor number

Just taken the resistor pack (thanks for the help in locating it red). The number on it is XS4H-18B647-BA if that helps smtippin?

Have not got the replacement part yet so I don;t know whether it will solve my problem. Wanted to be sure I could access it with my big clumsy hands first....
    Hi,

My V plate car is in the local garage for the same problem (no fan on setting 1 or 2).
    They'v ereplaced the resistor pack, but this has not fixed the problem. Now looks like the wiring loom has melted :(

I'll update once fixed and costs.

M
    Ford Focus Heater Resistor Details Faulty Air Con Or Fan

FOR FULL DETAILS OF HOW TO CHANGE YOUR HEATER RESISTOR JUST GO TO

http://www.amac.f2s.com/Focus1/

IT HELPED ME OUT A BUNCH !!
    Thanks to all who posted!

My 52 Focus just had the same issue, one google search later I had the answer from this forum.

Just to add a bit of info the replacement resistor cost me £11.54 from my local Ford dealer and the whole job took no more than an hour and a half (incl travel to and from the dealer). So thanks again.
    I have had the same problem with the fan only working on setting 4. If you change the thermal fuse this should resolve all your problems.
    Sorry it's taken me a while to reply. I couldn't get the part until yesterday.

Well, I opened the box, one shiny new resistor pack. Felt really quite confident that this was going to fix it seeing as it being plugged in or not made no difference to the actual working of the heaters but then, imagine my surprise when after deftly installing it (it gets easier the more times you actually do it), I put the heater to setting number one and.......yep - you guessed it.

Nothing whatsoever.

I'm not saying that this isn't the answer to your problems but it certainly wasn't to mine. I'm now asking myself if I really want to bother taking more of the dash apart to fix it and buying God knows what other useless bits of kit from Ford. I think there are three resistors. Maybe I got the wrong one.

Incidentally, I'd read on the net that the new parts were black. Mine wasn't. It looked identical to the one it replaced.
    Re Adski's note, I have just had the same issue - replaced the Resistor block, but no change, only getting air blown at setting 4. Thinking now about replacing the actual blower switch and/or relevant wiring between switch / resistor / motor. this is touch more involved, as it means gently removing the fascia to get to the switch. Not sure about the serviceability of the wiring, though.
    Anybody had any success with chnaging of these parts at all?