Bring it on

I was booking drivers back in the 80's and 90's for centre lane hogging (Driving without reasonable consideration for other road users) and tailgaiting, but back then we had full time Motorway Patrols responsible for just patrolling the Motorways.

Now? How often do you see a patrol on the Motorway? My old force has no patrols at all now and the only time you see them is when they are on a shout or dealing with an incident.

Centre lane hoggers are in the main by their nature just lazy, and even if they increase education it will still get ignored.

In my opinion this is nothing more than a paper exercise or an idle gesture!

Unless roads policing is taken more seriously by the Police and the Government and numbers of patrols are increased, nothing will change
    Sometimes these days, the motorways are so congested that vehicles in lanes two and three are nose to tail moving along at 40 to 50 mph or more. And sometimes the traffic in the inside lane is moving faster than other lanes. In those circumstances it is reasonable to overtake on the inside lane.
    In those circumstances it is reasonable to overtake on the inside lane.

And contrary to popular belief, perfectly legal
    I am rather sceptical about this, for the same reasons as TC1474, as well as I would not be surprised if another Law was passed with plenty of loopholes for the rich and famous to exploit. We used to have Robbery with Violence, which somehow got the jolly name of 'mugging', and motor theft became 'joyriding'. What happy name will be used to describe these pillocks?
    I am rather sceptical about this, for the same reasons as TC1474, as well as I would not be surprised if another Law was passed with plenty of loopholes for the rich and famous to exploit. We used to have Robbery with Violence, which somehow got the jolly name of 'mugging', and motor theft became 'joyriding'. What happy name will be used to describe these pillocks?

Old age travellers perhaps?
    Dennis, it is my experience that these people fall into all the age groups, but I most often see it with what I would guess to be drivers in their 30s, usually a male, alone in the car. As for tailgaters, they are usually young males, with or without passengers. Although in the congested areas of motorways where the nearside lane is virtually empty, and they are travelling at variable speed bumper-to-bumper in the outside lanes, it is usually a mix of male and female drivers, and the majority are travelling alone.
    When I worked for the AA, I seriously lost count of the number of young males I recovered off the motorways with front-end damage and the excuse; 'the car in front braked suddenly, and there was nothing I could do about it'. When I asked why they were so close to the car in front, their answer was generally along the lines of they did not want to be overtaken, as this would put them further back in the queue.
    Hopefully the new legislation will make it abundantly clear that this is not legal or acceptable. Judging from the response in Jeremy Vine's programme today, there are many people who are convinced that it is safer and better to drive at 50 or 60 mph in the middle lane.

I quote: "It saves having to change lanes." "Lane one is too bumpy and rutted." "If I am doing 70, no one should be overtaking anyway."
    Should also be enforced on duel carriage ways,driving on the right,still maybe they do were they come from